Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic flux formula confusion

1. Jul 16, 2008 #1
    Hello everyone,

In the magnetic flux formula in our textbook it says Ø = BAcosø and somewhere else I saw it as Ø=BAsinø. I don't know which one to use. If F=BIL sinø
    why does magnetic flux have cos in it formula. If something is perpendicular don't we have to use sine. Any help would be apppreciated. Thanks:smile:
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2008 #2
    formula [tex][tex]\phi[/tex] = BAcos[tex]\alpha[/tex][/tex] is magnetic flux
    it like [tex][tex]\phi[/tex]=[tex]\oint[/tex]EdA[/tex]
    formula [tex]F=ILBsin\alpha[/tex] was deduced from F=qvB or F=qvbsin[tex]\alpha[/tex]
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  4. Jul 16, 2008 #3
    Those 2 formulas might both be fine, it just depends on how is the angle ø defined.

They are however just special cases, when the area considered is flat and B is constant.

The real definition of magnetic flux, which is valid for every surface and in every case, is:

[tex]\Phi = \int_A B_n dA[/tex]

which means that you have to sum (integral) the contributes of the perpendicular (normal) component of B in every point of the surface A.

When B is constant everywhere (does not vary in different points of the surface) and A is flat, the integral goes away and the normal component of B is Bcosø if ø is defined as the angle between B and an axis perpendicular to A (or Bsinø if ø if the angle between B and the surface A).
  5. Jul 17, 2008 #4
    I got it. You are right it depend on the angle they give. Thanks a lot :smile:.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?