Magnetic flux through a loop near long straight conductor.

In summary: B. Then multiply that by the area of the loop to get the magnetic flux. Then differentiate the flux with respect to time to get the induced emf. Finally, use Ohm's law to calculate the current through the resistor. In summary, the question involves a rectangular loop placed near a long straight conductor. The loop is contained within the YZ plane and the conductor is oriented vertically at the origin. The current passing through the conductor is 19 Ampere. The dimensions of the loop are given as 9cm for the height, 14cm for the length, and a distance of 5cm from the conductor. The second part of the question involves
dbambery

Homework Statement

First part of the question:
A rectangular loop is placed near a long straight conductor.
Conductor is oriented vertically to the XY plain at the origin the loop is contained within the YZ plain.

Current passing through conductor.

I = 19 Ampere

dimensions of the loop

height = 9cm
length = 14cm
distance form the conductor = 5cm

Second part of the question : (The loop is assumed to have a break in it to measure induced emf.)

The loop is moved at a velocity of 2m/s in the positive Y direction.
calculate the emf across the break in the loop.

Third part of the question:

A 100 Ohm resistor is placed in the break of the loop, after 10 millisecond of motion what will be the quantity of current through the resistor.

Homework Equations

Magnetic field:
B= [[tex]\mu_{0}[/tex]*I]/[2*[tex]\Pi[/tex]*R]

Magnetic flux:
[tex]\Phi[/tex]= integral {B.dA} over the surface (B.dA is a dot product).

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution for the first part:

As the magnetic field decays over the area to be calculated i decided to integrate the field between the 2 radii that represented the start of the coil and the end of the coil.

getting B = [tex]\int(BdR)[/tex] from 0.05 lower to 0.19 upper limit.

taking out the non affected terms i got:

B= ([(mu0)*I]/[2*[tex]\Pi[/tex]])[tex]\int(dR/R)[/tex] from 0.05 lower to 0.19 upper limit.

further solved into:

B= ([(mu0)*I]/[2*[tex]\Pi[/tex]])ln(.19/.05) = ([(mu0)*I]/[2*pi])*(1.335)

Inserting the values i got around:

B= 5.073 * 10^(-6) Tesla.

Since the field is tangential in action it can be treated as perpendicular to the surface.

[tex]\Phi[/tex] = B*A

which evaluated to around 63.919 * 10^(-9) Webber.

Is the method correct I do not think that I have violated any laws, my concern being that this may cascade into the other parts so I would like a second opinion.

Second part of the question:

Differentiating the flux [tex]\Phi[/tex] with respect to time gives us the induced emf.
In the case of this question the magnetic field does not change rather the area through which the magnetic lines are passing.

[tex]\Phi[/tex] = B*A

[tex]\Phi[/tex] = B*L*x L here being the lateral dimension of the loop ie the height and the x being the length of the loop contained within the field.

As previously stated the rate of change of x is known to be 2m/s.

when differentiating the equation;

[tex]\Phi[/tex] = B*L*x wrt time we get
[tex]\Phi[/tex] = B*L*([tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex])

Putting in the values provided i get:

0.913 * 10^(-6) Volt.

Third section:

In this section should i re calculate the magnetic flux for the new position and then insert that into my previous equation to get the emf in the loop at that point and then apply Ohm's law.

Sorry guys this is my first post, apologies in advance for any inconvenience caused.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The huge space in the middle is because i screwed up the latex formatting. :frown:

i was trying to say integral of [LaTeX Code: \\mu_{0} *I]/[2*LaTeX Code: \\Pi *R]dR

FAQ: Magnetic flux through a loop near long straight conductor.

1. What is magnetic flux through a loop near a long straight conductor?

Magnetic flux refers to the amount of magnetic field passing through a surface, such as a loop or coil. When a loop is placed near a long straight conductor, the magnetic field from the conductor can pass through the loop, creating a flux.

2. How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength by the area of the surface that the field is passing through and the cosine of the angle between the field and the surface. The formula for magnetic flux is Φ = B x A x cosθ, where Φ is the magnetic flux, B is the magnetic field strength, A is the surface area, and θ is the angle between the field and the surface.

3. What is the direction of magnetic flux through a loop near a long straight conductor?

The direction of magnetic flux through a loop near a long straight conductor depends on the direction of the current in the conductor. If the current is flowing in the same direction as the magnetic field, the flux will be positive. If the current is flowing in the opposite direction, the flux will be negative.

4. How does the distance between the loop and the conductor affect the magnetic flux?

The magnetic flux through a loop near a long straight conductor is directly proportional to the distance between the loop and the conductor. As the distance increases, the magnetic field strength decreases, resulting in a decrease in the magnetic flux passing through the loop.

5. What is the significance of magnetic flux through a loop near a long straight conductor in practical applications?

Magnetic flux through a loop near a long straight conductor is important in many practical applications, such as transformers and generators. It allows for the transfer of energy from one circuit to another, making it a crucial concept in the study of electromagnetism and power systems.

Back