Calculating Maximum Magnetic Force on an Electron in a Television Set

In summary, to find the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force that an electron can experience, you can use the equation F=qvB, where q is the electron charge, v is the velocity, and B is the magnetic field strength. To find the velocity, you can equate the kinetic energy gained by an electron passing through a potential difference of V volts (where V is in joules per coulomb) to the energy gained through the potential difference, q*V. This can be done by converting 23 kV to the appropriate units (23000V) and multiplying it by the charge of an electron in coulombs. This will result in the units coming out correctly.
buckeyes
In a television set, electrons are accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 23 kV. The electrons then pass through a 0.28 T magnetic field that deflects them to the appropriate spot on the screen. Find the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force that an electron can experience.

i know to use F=qvB to find max but i am having trouble getting the right units to find v i use (1/2)mv(sq.). but how do i get 23kV in the right units to use this equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
An electron passing through a potential difference of V volts gains an energy of q*V where q is the electron charge. So that's it's kinetic energy KE=(1/2)mv^2 (where v here is velocity). Equate the two energies and find the velocity.

do i use 23kV or do i need to convert that unit?

23kV=23000V. Just multiply that by the charge in (in coulombs) of an electron. Volts are measured in joules per coulomb. See? The units will come out just right.

1. What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force that exists between two objects with magnetic properties. It is responsible for the interactions between magnets and the movement of charged particles in a magnetic field.

2. How is magnetic force measured?

Magnetic force is measured in units called Newtons (N) using a device called a magnetometer. The strength of the magnetic force is typically represented by the magnitude of the force vector.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of magnetic force?

The magnitude of magnetic force is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the distance between the two objects, and the orientation of the magnets. The larger the magnetic field and the closer the objects are, the stronger the force will be.

4. How does magnetic force differ from other forces?

Magnetic force is unique because it can act at a distance without physical contact between the objects. It also only affects objects with magnetic properties, unlike other forces such as gravity or electrostatic force which act on all objects.

5. What are some real-life applications of magnetic force?

Magnetic force has many important applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and MRI machines. It is also used in data storage devices like hard drives and credit cards. Magnetic force is also essential in the Earth's magnetic field, which protects us from harmful solar radiation.