Magnetic force created by one wire over another

In summary: X 10-6.In summary, two parallel wires with a weight per unit length of 10–4 N/m and one 0.3 m above the other must have a current of 15 A in opposite directions in order for the magnetic field from the lower wire to balance the weight of the upper wire. The formula used is (4pi X 10-7 X I2) / (2pi X 0.3) = F = 10-4 N, and the direction of the currents must be opposite for repulsion to occur.
Parad0x88

Homework Statement

Two wires, each having a weight per unit length of 10–4 N/m, are strung parallel, one 0.3 m above the other. If the wires carry the current of same magnitude, how great must the current in each wire be for the magnetic field due to the lower conductor to balance the weight of the upper conductor? What have to be the directions of the two currents for that to work?

Homework Equations

Since we are not given any length, we must work per unit of length, in this case meters.

Weight = mass X gravitational acceleration.

Since we are already given the weight, we simply must find the equivalent force to create an equilibrium.

We also know I1 = I2

F1 = (μ0I1I2)/(2pi X a)

The Attempt at a Solution

Simply solve for I, since I1 = I2, we can re-write:

10-4 N = (μ0I2)/(2pi X a)

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, so far, so good. So what's the answer?

AJ Bentley said:
OK, so far, so good. So what's the answer?

Oh well I had assumed if the formula was good I wouldn't have to go all the way here, but here goes:

(4pi X 10-7 X I2) / (2pi X 0.3)

FB = (2 X 10-7 X I2) / .3

FB = 6.667 X 10-6 X I2

I2 = 10-4 / 6.667 X 10-6

I2 = 15

I = 3.87

As for the direction, let's see if I can figure this out, and use what you have taught me in the previous problem :D.

We want them to repel each other. If both wires have the same current direction, they would attract each other, therefore one has to flow left to right, and the other right to left

You lost a factor of 10 halfway. Otherwise good.

AJ Bentley said:
You lost a factor of 10 halfway. Otherwise good.

Awesome, thanks! And yeah you're right, should be 6.667 X 10-7

1. What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for the attraction or repulsion between two objects with magnetic properties.

2. How is magnetic force created by one wire over another?

Magnetic force is created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons, within a wire. When one wire carrying an electric current is placed near another wire, the magnetic field created by the first wire will interact with the second wire, creating a magnetic force between them.

3. Can the strength of magnetic force be changed?

Yes, the strength of magnetic force can be changed by altering the distance between the two wires, the amount of electric current flowing through the wires, or the orientation of the wires relative to each other.

4. What is the relationship between the strength of the magnetic force and the current in the wire?

The strength of the magnetic force is directly proportional to the amount of current flowing through the wire. This means that as the current increases or decreases, the strength of the magnetic force will also increase or decrease.

5. Is there a limit to the strength of magnetic force that can be created by one wire over another?

Yes, there is a limit to the strength of magnetic force that can be created by one wire over another. This limit is determined by the properties of the materials used in the wires and the distance between them. Additionally, as the distance between the wires increases, the strength of the magnetic force will decrease.