Magnetic Moment: Understanding "Spin Stabilized Magnetic Levitation

In summary, the author is discussing the placement and magnetic energy of a rotor with two equal dipoles, and they have derived equations to represent the magnetic moments and energy at different locations on the rotor.
Harmony
Quote from "Spin Stabilized Magnetic Levitation of Horizontal Rotors", L. A. Romero, from SIAM Journal of Applied Mathematics.

"Suppose we have a rotor that has two equal dipoles on the axis of symmetry, each pointing in the direction of the axis of symmetry. We suppose that the magnets are placed symmetrically a distance δ/2 from the center of mass. When the rotor gets displaced and rotated, one of the dipoles will be located at x+ = x + δ/2d and the other one at
x- = x − δ/2d. The dipole moment of the magnet at x+ will be m+ = m0d, and the moment at x- will be m- = m0d. The total magnetic energy of the rotor will be U(x, d) = m0 (d ・ ∇φ(x+) + d ・ ∇φ(x−)). "

I have some difficulties understanding this part of the journal. d is the unit vector pointing at the direction of the symmetry axis. I presume that δ/2d is actually δ/2 * d.

I think that m0 means the moment at the centre of mass. But how did the author derived the equation, m+ = m0d?

Another thing that I don't understand is the energy equation.

The term in the brackets are scalar, if I am not mistaken. And I think that magnetic moment is a vector. But U is scalar unit isn't it?

The equation only make sense to me if m is the magnitude of the magnetic moment. Am I correct to say so?

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up your questions about this part of the journal. I can try to provide some clarification for you.

Firstly, you are correct in assuming that δ/2d means δ/2 multiplied by the unit vector d. This is a common notation used in vector calculus to represent the direction of a vector.

Next, m0 represents the magnitude of the magnetic moment at the center of mass. The author is using m+ and m- to represent the magnetic moments at the two different locations, x+ and x-. The equation m+ = m0d is derived from the fact that the dipole moment is equal to the product of the magnitude of the magnetic moment and the distance between the two poles, which in this case is d (since the poles are located at δ/2d and -δ/2d).

In terms of the energy equation, you are correct that the terms in the brackets are scalar values. This is because the gradient of a scalar function is a vector, and the dot product of two vectors results in a scalar value. The magnetic moment is indeed a vector, but in this case, the author is only considering the magnitude of the magnetic moment, which is why it is represented by m0 (a scalar value).

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of this part of the journal. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

I can provide some clarification on the concepts discussed in this quote. The quote is discussing the concept of spin stabilized magnetic levitation, which involves using magnetic fields to levitate and stabilize a rotating object. Let's break down the key concepts mentioned in the quote.

Firstly, the quote mentions a rotor that has two equal dipoles on the axis of symmetry. A dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges or poles, separated by a distance. In this case, the dipole is referring to the magnetic poles of the rotor.

Next, the quote mentions that the dipoles are placed symmetrically a distance δ/2 from the center of mass. This means that the two dipoles are placed at equal distances from the center of mass of the rotor.

The equation m+ = m0d is simply stating that the magnetic moment (represented by m) at the location x+ is equal to the magnetic moment at the center of mass (represented by m0) multiplied by the distance d. This is a basic calculation based on the concept of magnetic moment, which is a measure of the strength of a magnetic dipole.

Moving on to the energy equation, U(x, d) = m0 (d ・ ∇φ(x+) + d ・ ∇φ(x−)) is a representation of the total magnetic energy of the rotor. This equation takes into account the magnetic moments at the two locations (x+ and x-) and their respective distances from the center of mass (d). The terms in the brackets are scalar quantities, as they represent the dot product of the distance vector (d) and the gradient of the magnetic potential (φ). The gradient of φ is a vector, but when multiplied by the distance vector, it becomes a scalar quantity.

To answer your question, it is correct to say that m represents the magnitude of the magnetic moment in this equation. I hope this helps to clarify the concepts discussed in the quote.

Related to Magnetic Moment: Understanding "Spin Stabilized Magnetic Levitation

1. What is magnetic moment?

Magnetic moment is the measure of the strength and direction of a magnetic field. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How does "Spin Stabilized Magnetic Levitation" work?

Spin Stabilized Magnetic Levitation is a phenomenon where a spinning magnetic object can levitate in mid-air due to the interaction between its magnetic moment and an external magnetic field. The spinning motion creates a gyroscopic effect, stabilizing the levitating object.

3. What is the significance of understanding magnetic moment?

Understanding magnetic moment is crucial for many scientific and technological applications, such as in the development of magnetic storage devices, electric motors, and magnetic levitation systems. It also plays a significant role in understanding the behavior of atoms and particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

4. What factors affect the magnetic moment?

The magnetic moment of an object is affected by its size, shape, and the strength and direction of the external magnetic field it is exposed to. Additionally, the magnetic properties of the material the object is made of also play a role in determining its magnetic moment.

5. Can magnetic moment be altered or controlled?

Yes, the magnetic moment of an object can be altered or controlled by changing the external magnetic field it is exposed to, or by adjusting its size, shape, or material composition. This can be done using various techniques, such as applying an electric current or using specialized materials with controllable magnetic properties.