Magnetic Quantum Number Explained: Limits and Importance in Hydrogen Atom

In summary: The magnetic quantum number is analogous to the eccentricity of the elliptical orbit. The angular momentum of an orbiting particle is greatest when it is in the central part of its elliptical orbit, and smaller values of the angular momentum correspond to more eccentric orbits. Thus, there can be no angular momentum values greater than... well, the magnetic quantum number.In summary, the magnetic quantum number can only be greater than the total angular momentum, and the angular momentum magnitude must be between ±L.
jbar18
Hi,

I am going through the hydrogen atom at the moment, and I saw that the magnetic quantum number must run between ±L. I cannot find the reason in a simple enough form for me to understand, so I was hoping someone here could quickly (or slowly!) explain why ml can't be greater than L.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jbar18 said:
Hi,

I am going through the hydrogen atom at the moment, and I saw that the magnetic quantum number must run between ±L. I cannot find the reason in a simple enough form for me to understand, so I was hoping someone here could quickly (or slowly!) explain why ml can't be greater than L.
(Warning - some hand-waving follows)

Suppose that I told you that an airplane was flying at 1000 km/hr, but didn't tell you in which direction. Even without knowing the direction, you would know that it couldn't be moving north at any more than 1000 km/hr (if the direction of travel was due north) nor at any less than -1000 km/hr (if the direction of travel was due south). And of course it could be anywhere between those two extremes.

The L quantum number is the magnitude of the angular momentum. The magnetic quantum number is the component of the angular momentum around a particular axis, so can't be more than the total.

Ah, that's very simple. I thought it was more complicated than that. However I am still a little confused, only because I was told that the magnitude of the angular momentum is given by sqrt(l(l+1)) (in units of hbar), which should be a little bit more than l.

Is it just because ml has to be an integer, and so it has to be less than sqrt(l(l+1)) and so also l?

Well, there's no integer between l and sqrt(l(l+1)), so if m is an integer, it can't be bigger than l, so that its maximum value is l.

I suppose it has to do with Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. For angular momentum, it says
[tex]\sigma_{L_x} \sigma_{L_y} \ge \frac{\hbar}{2} \left< | L_z | \right> [/tex]
So, you can never quite align the angular momentum all into the z direction because there's some uncertainty in the x and y angular momenta.

Last edited:
jbar18 said:
Ah, that's very simple. I thought it was more complicated than that. However I am still a little confused, only because I was told that the magnitude of the angular momentum is given by sqrt(l(l+1)) (in units of hbar), which should be a little bit more than l.

Is it just because ml has to be an integer, and so it has to be less than sqrt(l(l+1)) and so also l?

Hey, I did warn you that there was some hand-waving in my answer, didn't I?

Dextercioby and Khashishi have given you good answers (although Khashishi could have appealed to the non-commutativity of the angular momentum components instead of the HUP).

If you want to visualize what's going on... Imagine that the z-axis is pointing straight up. The angular momentum L cannot be pointing straight up as well (##L_z = L##) because then we'd be in an eigenstate of all three ##L_i## (with eigenvalues 0, 0, and L), and that's impossible because they don't commute.

Instead, the angular momentum vector L lies in the surface of a cone with its apex at the origin and its axis around the z-axis. Each value of ##L_z## corresponds to a cone of different height ##L_z## and width; in any cone the value of L and ##L_z## is fixed and ##L_z < L##.

Last edited:
What do you know about differential equations? If you're good with the math, then the answer is fairly clear from the derivation of the quantum numbers from the Schrodinger equation.

Eventually, in solving for the wave function, we get a Legendre polynomial, which is in terms of l and m. The series only converges if m is within ±l.

Well that all seems fairly straightforward. Is there an answer reminiscent of

The L quantum number is the magnitude of the angular momentum. The magnetic quantum number is the component of the angular momentum around a particular axis, so can't be more than the total.

for why l also has to be less than the principal quantum number? If it just pops out of the math that's fair enough, but that explanation was very enlightening (somehow I missed the physical connection between ml and l!)

jbar18 said:
Is there a [similar] answer for why l also has to be less than the principal quantum number?

Yes, although it comes with the same disclaimer about hand-waving. :smile:

The principal quantum number is roughly analogous to the radius of the classical electron orbit. The angular momentum of an orbiting particle is greatest in a circular orbit, and smaller values of the angular momentum correspond to more elliptical orbits. Thus, there can be no angular momentum values greater than that corresponding to a circular orbit with the energy given by the principal quantum number.

This is a completely heuristic hand-wavy argument... Useful only because it puts some intuition behind the results that just pop out of the math.

That's very helpful, thanks.

I think the last conceptual hurdle for me to get over is just that these numbers are only integers linking to real variables - thinking of them in terms of "angular momentum has to be less than energy" (and similar nonsense) is what has gotten me confused.

Related to Magnetic Quantum Number Explained: Limits and Importance in Hydrogen Atom

1. What is the magnetic quantum number and how is it related to the hydrogen atom?

The magnetic quantum number (ml) is a quantum number that describes the orientation of the orbital in space. It is related to the hydrogen atom through the Schrödinger equation, which predicts the energy levels and orbital shapes of the atom. The value of ml determines the number of orbitals in each energy level and the specific shape of those orbitals.

2. What are the possible values of the magnetic quantum number for a hydrogen atom?

The possible values of the magnetic quantum number for a hydrogen atom are integers ranging from -l to l, where l is the orbital angular momentum quantum number. For a hydrogen atom, l can have values of 0, 1, 2, 3, and so on, which correspond to the s, p, d, f, and higher energy levels, respectively. Therefore, the possible values of ml for a hydrogen atom are -l, -(l-1), -(l-2), ..., 0, ..., (l-2), (l-1), l.

3. What is the significance of the magnetic quantum number in the hydrogen atom?

The magnetic quantum number plays a crucial role in determining the energy levels and orbital shapes of the hydrogen atom. It also affects the probability of finding an electron in a specific region of space, as well as the magnetic properties of the atom. The value of ml also helps in distinguishing between different orbitals in the same energy level, as each orbital has a unique value of ml.

4. How does the magnetic quantum number affect the energy of an electron in a hydrogen atom?

The energy of an electron in a hydrogen atom is directly proportional to the square of the magnetic quantum number (ml2). This means that the higher the value of ml, the higher the energy of the electron. This relationship is derived from the Schrödinger equation and is essential in understanding the energy levels of the atom.

5. Can the magnetic quantum number have a negative value in a hydrogen atom?

Yes, the magnetic quantum number can have a negative value in a hydrogen atom. This is because it represents the orientation of the orbital in space, and there are both positive and negative orientations. The negative values simply indicate that the orbital is oriented in the opposite direction. For example, an ml value of -1 would correspond to an orbital with a negative orientation, while an ml value of 1 would correspond to an orbital with a positive orientation.