Why do magnetic fields form closed loops?

In summary, the magnetic field of a bar magnet is created by moving charges and is directional. The strong magnetization in a ferromagnet arises from the cooperative allignment of the intrinsic magnetic moments of the valence electrons in iron.
Padma
I am sorry to be bothering you - I am a high school student and I need help with something I don't understand. It is understandable if we think of why magnetic fields form closed loops if we think of the North and the South Poles not being separate from each other. This has been given as a proof for the nonexsistence of monopoles but for things like the bar magnet where the 2 poles are separated by some distance why should they still form closed loops? I would be really gald if you could answer my question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Padma said:
I am sorry to be bothering you - I am a high school student and I need help with something I don't understand. It is understandable if we think of why magnetic fields form closed loops if we think of the North and the South Poles not being separate from each other. This has been given as a proof for the nonexsistence of monopoles but for things like the bar magnet where the 2 poles are separated by some distance why should they still form closed loops? I would be really gald if you could answer my question.

Field lines can be thought of as the path traced by a small "charge" placed in the field. So consider a bar magnet and a small (hypothetical) North pole monopole. Start this near the North pole of the bar magnet. What path is this little monopole going to trace? It will be repulsed by the North pole and attracted to the South pole of the bar magnet. So this little monopole will trace out some curve connecting N and S. And it will do so for (almost) any placement of our little monopole. This gives the magnetic field as curving from N to S.

There IS one exception: If we place our monopole directly above the N pole and directly in line with the S pole (ie. on the axis) the monopole will shoot away from the N pole and not curve around. There is a similar line near the S pole where the monopole goes straight into the S pole. These are the only field lines that don't curve.

-Dan

The lines of B are continuous loops. Inside a bar magnet B goes from the S end to the N end. It continues through the N end where you see it coming out.

Padma said:

All magnetic fields are created by moving charges, whether they are moving in straight lines or orbits within an atom, as in your bar magnet. Secondly, a moving charge within a magnetic field experiences a magnetic force, such that moving charges will tend to attract one another if they are moving in the same direction; like currents attract, unlike repel. Each current loop will appear a North pole when viewed from one end, but a South when viewed from the other.

Think of your bar magnet as consisting of tiny current loops that orient themselves to line up with one another, so that you end up with a North at one end, a South at the other.

jmc8197 said:
All magnetic fields are created by moving charges, whether they are moving in straight lines or orbits within an atom, as in your bar magnet. Secondly, a moving charge within a magnetic field experiences a magnetic force, such that moving charges will tend to attract one another if they are moving in the same direction; like currents attract, unlike repel. Each current loop will appear a North pole when viewed from one end, but a South when viewed from the other.

Think of your bar magnet as consisting of tiny current loops that orient themselves to line up with one another, so that you end up with a North at one end, a South at the other.
That is a good classical explanation, originally presented by Ampere,
and is useful for visualizing thje B field in and out of the magnet.
It is often used in elementary texts.
But, it is not what really happens in a bar magnet. The strong magnetization in a ferromagnet arises from the cooperative allignment of the intrinsic magnetic moments of the valence electrons in iron, and is unrelated to current loops.

What is magnetism and how does it work?

Magnetism is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for the attraction or repulsion between objects. It is caused by the alignment of tiny magnetic fields in the atoms of certain materials. These tiny fields create a larger, macroscopic magnetic field that can attract or repel objects.

What are closed loops in regards to magnetism?

Closed loops refer to the paths that magnetic fields follow. They can be visualized as imaginary lines that loop around a magnet or a current-carrying wire. These loops are important because they help us understand the direction and strength of the magnetic field.

How does magnetism affect electricity?

Magnetism and electricity are closely related and can interact with each other. Moving charges, such as electrons in a wire, create a magnetic field. Similarly, a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for many technologies, including generators and transformers.

Can magnetism be turned off or on?

Magnetism is a natural force that cannot be turned off or on. However, it can be controlled or manipulated by using different materials and techniques. For example, certain materials can be magnetized by exposing them to a strong magnetic field, while others can be demagnetized by heating them or subjecting them to a strong external magnetic field in the opposite direction.

What are some real-life applications of magnetism and closed loops?

Magnetism and closed loops have many practical applications in our daily lives. They are used in electric motors, generators, MRI machines, magnetic levitation trains, and many other technologies. They also play a crucial role in Earth's magnetic field, which protects us from harmful solar radiation.