Magnetism and Current Concept Query

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between magnetism and currents. One person is frustrated by the lack of explanation in their textbook about how the magnetic field produced by a current might cancel out an external magnetic field. They also mention the right-hand rule for determining the magnetic field of a current and how a current-carrying wire can feel a force in a magnetic field.
Offlinedoctor
Hi I'm currently reading up on magnetism and its relation to currents but there's one thing that frustrates me and the textbook doesn't seem to elaborate on it.

I understand that a current produces its own magnetic field (and we use the right-hand rule to determine this), it also makes sense that if we throw a particle into this current-created field, we can measure the force it feels via F = qvB. What's frustrating me is that in the next section, the textbook outlines how if we place a current-carrying wire on a magnetic field, the wire will feel a force of F = i.l.b.sin(x), but before it says that a current produces a magnetic field, so won't the magnetic field it produce partially cancel out the external magnetic field?

Physics news on Phys.org
The mag field produced by a wire does not produce a force on that wire.

1. What is the difference between magnetism and current?

Magnetism is a force that is produced by the movement of charged particles, while current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor.

2. How are magnetism and current related?

Magnetism and current are closely related because an electric current produces a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current.

3. How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet works by using an electric current to create a magnetic field. The strength of the magnetic field can be controlled by adjusting the amount of current flowing through the electromagnet.

4. Can magnetism be turned into electricity?

Yes, magnetism can be turned into electricity through the process of electromagnetic induction. This is when a changing magnetic field induces an electric current in a conductor.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetism and current?

Magnetism and current have many important applications, including electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and speakers. They are also used in everyday objects such as refrigerators, credit cards, and compasses.