Magnetism, magnetic properties

In summary, magnetism is a physical phenomenon caused by the alignment of electrons in certain materials, creating a magnetic field. There are three main types of magnets: permanent, temporary, and electromagnets. Magnetic force is the force exerted by a magnet or magnetic field on another magnet or material, while a magnetic field is the area around a magnet where its force can be detected. The properties of a magnetic field include direction, strength, and polarity. Magnetism is used in a variety of everyday objects and technologies, including electric motors, speakers, credit cards, and MRI machines, among others.
Bassalisk
Hello,

I am nearing the end of my first year. I will have 1-2 months of vacation. I am really interested in getting grasp at least a little around magnetic phenomena.

If somebody could recommend me a book where this issue is addressed hard. Where magnetism is explained, but not on the high school level.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org

What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a physical phenomenon in which certain materials exert attractive or repulsive forces on other materials. It is caused by the alignment of electrons in the atoms of a material, creating a magnetic field.

What are the different types of magnets?

There are three main types of magnets: permanent, temporary, and electromagnets. Permanent magnets, such as refrigerator magnets, have a constant magnetic field. Temporary magnets, like paperclips, become magnetized when in the presence of a strong magnetic field. Electromagnets are created by running an electric current through a coil of wire and can be turned on and off.

What is the difference between magnetic force and magnetic field?

Magnetic force is the force exerted by a magnet or magnetic field on another magnet or magnetic material. It is a non-contact force that can attract or repel objects. A magnetic field is the area around a magnet where its force can be detected. It is represented by lines of magnetic flux that spread out from one pole of the magnet to the other.

What are the properties of a magnetic field?

A magnetic field has several properties, including direction, strength, and polarity. The direction of a magnetic field is determined by the direction of the magnetic force it exerts. The strength of a magnetic field is measured in units of teslas or gauss. The polarity of a magnetic field refers to the orientation of the magnetic field lines, which run from the north pole to the south pole of a magnet.

How is magnetism used in everyday life?

Magnetism is used in a variety of everyday objects and technologies. Some common uses include electric motors, generators, speakers, credit cards, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It is also used in compasses for navigation and to create secure seals on refrigerators and other household items.