ANSOFT Maxwell getting the radial component of the B-Vector

Your Name].In summary, a 4th year Mechanical Engineering student is working on a research project involving a simple magnetic field arrangement using ANSOFT Maxwell 15.0. They have successfully conducted a Magneto-static analysis and obtained results for the B-magnitude and B-vector. However, they are now trying to export the radial component of the B-field into Excel or MATLAB and are seeking help from someone knowledgeable about Maxwell. They can use the "Export Data" function in the "Results" tab and select a perpendicular path to the long axis of the arrangement to obtain the desired data. They are also open to exchanging emails for further technical assistance.
Young1
Hi Guys,

I am modelling a simple Magnetic field in ANSOFT Maxwell 15.0. My geometry is a linear array of ring magnets (NdFe30) and spacers (iron) (OD-25mm, ID-13mm). they are arranged in a co-axial fashion and in alternating order (spacer-magnet-spacer-magnet-spacer ect.) and the magnets are orientated in alternating fashion (N-S, spacer, S-N, spacer, N-S, spacer, ect.). the entire arrangement is around 150mm long. all in all its a very simple apparatus to attempt to maximise the magnetic field fluctuation down the axial length.

I have successfully done a Magneto-static analysis in Maxwell 15.0 and got some good results (primarily interested in the B-magnitude and B-vector). I have a vector plot of the B-field shown on a 2D plane so I know the radial and tangential components are there, just a matter of getting them out of the software.

My problem is that I have the B vector and magnitude data for along the arrangement (down the long axis) , but I require the RADIAL-Component of the B-field (in Tesla).

Does anyone have experience with outputting the components of the vectors in Maxwell?

The attached picture (a small section of the arrangement) should show what I have, and what I am after.
Magnet_double_mag_B_vector_plot.JPG

I am looking just to export into excel and MATLAB primary which I can do already with the magnitude of B, but not the radial component as of yet.

And help or pointers in the right direction would be appreciated

Thanks

P.S. sorry if some of my lingo is bad I am a 4th year Mechanical Engineering student, and this Electrical/ Magnetic stuff is a little beyond me at the moment.
P.P.S. I am currently completing my final year research project so if someone is Knowledgeable about Maxwell and would like to exchange emails and Help with some program technical questions it would be greatly insightful.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I am a scientist who has experience with ANSOFT Maxwell and I may be able to help you with your question. It sounds like you have a good understanding of the software and your project so far, and I commend you for taking on a challenging topic for your research project.

To answer your question, it is possible to output the components of the B-field vectors in Maxwell. You can do this by using the "Export Data" function in the "Results" tab. This will allow you to export the data from your simulation into a text file, which you can then open in Excel or MATLAB.

To specifically get the radial component of the B-field, you will need to use the "Export Data" function on a line or path that is perpendicular to the long axis of your arrangement. This will give you the B-field values at different points along that path, including the radial component.

If you need more help with this, feel free to reach out to me via email. I would be happy to assist you further with any technical questions you may have.

Best of luck with your research project!

1. How do I obtain the radial component of the B-Vector in ANSOFT Maxwell?

To obtain the radial component of the B-Vector in ANSOFT Maxwell, you can use the "Radial" option under the "Coordinate System" tab in the "Field Calculator" tool. This will calculate the radial component of the B-Vector at each point in the simulation.

2. Can I plot the radial component of the B-Vector in a graph or chart?

Yes, you can plot the radial component of the B-Vector by using the "Plot Data" tool in ANSOFT Maxwell. Simply select the "Radial" option under the "Field" tab and choose the desired graph or chart type.

3. Is the radial component of the B-Vector affected by the geometry of my simulation?

Yes, the radial component of the B-Vector can be affected by the geometry of your simulation. It is important to ensure that your geometry is accurately represented in the simulation in order to obtain accurate results.

4. Can I export the radial component of the B-Vector data for further analysis?

Yes, you can export the radial component of the B-Vector data by using the "Export Data" tool in ANSOFT Maxwell. You can choose to export the data in various formats, such as CSV or Excel, for further analysis in other software.

5. How can I use the radial component of the B-Vector in my research or project?

The radial component of the B-Vector can be used in a variety of research and projects, such as in electromagnetism, circuit design, and materials science. It can provide valuable information about the behavior of magnetic fields in different environments and can help in the design and optimization of various devices.