The Hysteresis Loop of Raw Iron: Understanding Coercivity and Magnetization

In summary: I'm not sure what you are asking. :) ##[H]=\frac{[M]}{[A][t]^2}##It would be better stated as Magnetic field strength corresponding to 1 gauss is 80 A/m
Dash-IQ
The "area" of the hysteresis loop depends on the coercivity, the coercivity of raw iron(Wrought iron) is 2 Oe(160 A/m).

If 1 gauss = 103/ 4∏ = 79.58 A/m(I'm not sure about this, http://www.sste.mmu.ac.uk/users/shoon/pers_page/envmagn_tables_anal/Mag-Units-Tables-New.pdf(under "General working conversions" page 2)).

A field of 2 gauss can magnetize/demagnetize this material?!
The work done is amazingly diminutive!
Is this right?!

I imagine the hysteresis loop being extremely narrow, which makes sense since most "soft" iron materials are like that. They are easy to magnetize and demagnetize.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
UltrafastPED said:
Note that the units of gauss (=10^-4 tesla) is not the same as the oersted; see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oersted

I assumed 2 gauss = 160 A/m based on the conversion table present in the source, I must review this.
What about the coercively of raw iron? When it's equal to 160 A/m is that considered to be a small value?
It has the tendency to become magnetized and de-magnetized easily?

I don't have any perspective of this, because I'm new at this subject. However, when comparing it to Neodymium-iron-boron I realize the major difference.
neodymium-iron-boron = 9x105 A/m.

Last edited:
UltrafastPED said:
Here is a table of magnetic properties for many materials:
http://www.kayelaby.npl.co.uk/general_physics/2_6/2_6_6.html

This is absolutely phenomenal, soft iron's coercivity is from 0.20 A/m and hard iron are 45 kA/m.
It's super super easy to magnetize and de-magnetize soft iron, it's as if the energy required to do so is "nothing". haha :biggrin:

Now I understand why we require mind boggling amounts of energy to make some strong magnets. Is to create such powerful field strengths.
Thank you for this.

UltrafastPED, is 1 Gauss = 79 A/m? Is this statement true?

Enigman said:
Nope. At least not dimensionally...##[G]=\frac{[M]}{[A][t]^2}##
It would be better stated as Magnetic field strength corresponding to 1 gauss is 80 A/m
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=gauss&a=*C.gauss-_*Unit-

I'm trying to gain some perspective here, is 160 A/m a strong field? Does a solenoid require a lot of power to create such a field strength? Based on the link you shared(Thanks btw,) the current required to create such a field is 5 A, at 1 cm! Thats a lot of current for such a small wire.

I assume it's something weak, simple to create and a small solenoid with less than a 1W of power can create it. Comparing it with stronger solenoid used to manufacture permanent magnets that consume above 10kW of power to create a highly powerful field.

If H = 160 A/m(2 Oe), is that a lot/strong?

1. What is magnetization of raw iron?

Magnetization of raw iron refers to the process of aligning the magnetic domains within the iron to create a magnetic field.

2. Why does raw iron become magnetized?

Raw iron becomes magnetized due to the alignment of its magnetic domains when exposed to an external magnetic field. This creates a magnetic field in the iron, making it magnetic.

3. How is raw iron magnetized?

Raw iron can be magnetized through various methods such as rubbing it with a magnet in a specific direction, exposing it to an electric current, or heating it above its Curie temperature and then cooling it in the presence of a magnetic field.

4. What is the significance of magnetization of raw iron?

The magnetization of raw iron is important in many industries, including electronics, power generation, and medicine. It allows for the creation of devices such as motors, generators, and MRI machines.

5. Can raw iron lose its magnetization?

Yes, raw iron can lose its magnetization over time due to factors such as exposure to heat or strong external magnetic fields. This is known as demagnetization. However, it can also be re-magnetized using the same methods as mentioned above.