Magnets - looking for help with school project

In summary, the speaker is seeking assistance with a school project involving magnets. They want to build a small magnetic gate that can push a steel ball forward when it enters. They have attempted to use a Hallbach array but have not been successful in getting the desired force. They are wondering if a different setup, such as a tri gate, would be more effective. They also mention that they are new to working with magnets and are open to learning and experimenting.
Tom821
Hi everyone,

I have a little magnets project for school i need to accomplish and I'm a little stuck.. hoping someone with the right knowledge of magnets could assist me here :)

I need to build a small magnetic gate which can push forward a steel ball (but not too far away). the idea is to roll the ball on a desk and when it enters the gate it will shot it out forward. I'm trying to do that either with hallbach array or other setup of neodymium magnets.

So I've built the Hallbach array but couldn't get the correct setup to make it ball push forward with force.
- should i try a different set up? maybe a tri gate will be better for this experiment? or maybe I'm trying to do something which is impossible.. ?

any help will be great!
thanks in advance, tom.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tom821 said:
So I've built the Hallbach array but couldn't get the correct setup to make it ball push forward with force.

do you really understand how a Halbach array is constructed and works ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halbach_array

Likes Tom821
i did build it from wiki, was not easy but i could do that.
I'ts all fairly new to us (the team in school) but were here to experiment :) so were learning all the time..
it is complicated so we thought maybe we should try with tri gate & 2 small bearing balls (like shown on few youtube videos)

1. What are magnets made of?

Magnets are made of materials that have magnetic properties, such as iron, nickel, cobalt, and certain types of alloys. These materials have electrons that are aligned in the same direction, creating a magnetic field.

2. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by creating a force field around them called a magnetic field. This field attracts objects made of certain materials, such as iron or steel, and can also repel other magnets.

3. What are the different types of magnets?

There are three main types of magnets: permanent magnets, temporary magnets, and electromagnets. Permanent magnets retain their magnetism without an external force, temporary magnets only have a magnetic field when in the presence of a magnetic field, and electromagnets are created by running electricity through a wire.

4. What are some common uses for magnets?

Magnets have a wide range of uses, including in everyday objects like refrigerator magnets and speakers. They are also used in more complex applications such as generators, MRI machines, and particle accelerators.

5. How can I make a magnet?

You can make a magnet by rubbing a piece of iron or steel with a strong magnet. This process, called magnetization, aligns the electrons in the material and creates a magnetic field. However, this method only works for certain types of materials and may not create a very strong magnet.