1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Magnification/Focal Length

1. Mar 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Shaving/makeup mirrors typically have one flat and one concave (magnifying) surface. You find that you can project a magnified image of a lightbulb onto the wall of your bathroom if you hold the mirror 2.0 m from the bulb and 3.7 m from the wall.

a) What is the magnification of the image?
    b) Is the image erect or inverted?
    c) What is the focal length of the mirror?

2. Relevant equations

m = - di/do ???
    1/di +1/di = 1/f

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'll be honest, I have no clue how to start this problem. Any help would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2010 #2
  4. Mar 18, 2010 #3
    Ok thanks! as far as magnification, is the formula i provided correct? and how do i figure out if it is inverted or not?

5. Mar 18, 2010 #4
    The positive or negative signs in the equations have the following significance

(from further down in the link I gave you)

• f is + if the mirror is a concave mirror
    • f is - if the mirror is a convex mirror
    • di is + if the image is a real image and located on the object's side of the mirror.
    • di is - if the image is a virtual image and located behind the mirror.
    • hi is + if the image is an upright image (and therefore, also virtual)
    • hi is - if the image an inverted image (and therefore, also real)

hi is height of image, ho is height of object

The formula for these is
    magnification = hi/ho = -di/do

Just keep a close eye on the negative sign in the equation and be consistent with signs generally, and this will tell you if the image is real and inverted; or virtual and erect.

The other way of working this out is to draw a ray diagram.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook