Magnitude of average acceleration?

In summary, The conversation is about a person trying to get back into physics after a two-year break. They are seeking help with calculating the average acceleration of a gazelle running in a specific direction and finding its vector components. They are also asking for clarification on the definitions and formulas for average acceleration, as well as how to apply trigonometry to find the components of velocity.
Schulz
I haven't done anything Physics related in 2 years (high school) and am trying to get back into being familiar with Physics, Science, and mathematical terms for an upcoming class.

Homework Statement

A gazelle starts from rest and runs in a straight line 29° north of west. After 36s of running in this direction, the gazelle has a speed of 12 m/s. (a) What is the magnitude of the gazelle's average acceleration? Assuming that north and east are the positive directions, find the component of the horse's acceleration that points alone (b) the north - south line and (c) the east-west line.

Homework Equations

I know you have to do an initial equation by subtracting the animal's moving speed from the resting speed but from there I have no idea what to do. If someone could give me the correct formula, I can work the rest out myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition for average acceleration?

From my notes I have a = Δv / Δt (Velocity change over elapsed time). So I got 12m/s / 36s but what would I do with the 29°? Is the magnitude some kind of cos/sin function? Sorry for sounding dumb, just really lost with the degrees.

Acceleration is a vector. You have found the magnitude of the average acceleration. Now find the vector components.

Schulz said:
Is the magnitude some kind of cos/sin function? Sorry for sounding dumb, just really lost with the degrees.

Yes, you won't be lost when you get the picture:

Draw a right triangle, with your 29* as the bottom-left acute angle. Your magnitude, or hypotenuse of the triangle, is 12 m/s.

Using trig, you can find the other legs of the triangle, and those are your components of velocity!

Once you know both components of velocity, apply your average acceleration formula to each.

1. What is the formula for calculating average acceleration?

The formula for average acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is average acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. How is magnitude of average acceleration different from average acceleration?

Magnitude of average acceleration refers to the numerical value of the average acceleration without considering its direction. Average acceleration, on the other hand, takes into account both magnitude and direction.

3. How is magnitude of average acceleration calculated?

Magnitude of average acceleration can be calculated by taking the absolute value of average acceleration, ignoring its direction. This can be expressed as |a| = |(vf - vi) / t|.

4. What are the units of magnitude of average acceleration?

The units of magnitude of average acceleration are the same as that of average acceleration, which is m/s2 (meters per second squared).

5. Can magnitude of average acceleration be negative?

Yes, magnitude of average acceleration can be negative. This indicates that the object is decelerating or slowing down in its motion. However, the negative sign is usually dropped when calculating and reporting magnitude of average acceleration.