Magnitude of contact force?

In summary: In this case, the backpack has a weight of 81 N and exerts a normal contact force of 490 N on the student, while the student has a weight of 100 N and exerts an equal but opposite contact force of 490 N on the backpack.
jand
1. A student who's standing still on level ground weights 570 N and is wearing a backpack that is 81 N.
a) What's the magnitude of net force on the student?
b) What's the magnitude of the contact force on the student by the backpack?
c) What's the magnitude of the contact foce on the student by the ground?

3. I understand both parts A (net foce = zero because there is no acceleration) and C (contact forceon the student by the ground = 651 N) in the equation, I'm just having a difficult time understand part b) with the horizontal forces. My thoughts lead me to think that the contract force on the student by the backpack would have been 570 N - 81 N = 489 but apparently that's wrong. can anyone help and explain? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the same thought you used in part a) can be applied in part b): backpack weights 81N and it is not accelerating - so what force you need to balance backpacks weight?

so the force of the backpack and the force of the student would cancel each other and again it would be zero?

uch... sorry, I misread your first post a bit, actually a force that backpack exerts on student its only its weight (vertical force), i guess ;]

I'm just having a difficult time understand part b) with the horizontal forces.
What horizontal forces?

so the force of the backpack and the force of the student would cancel each other and again it would be zero?
No, the backpack exerts a contact force on the student, and the student exerts an equal but opposite contact force on the backpack, per Newton 3. These forces act on different objects. There is still a force on the student from the backpack, as well as forces on the student from the ground and from his weight.

actually a force that backpack exerts on student is only its weight (vertical force)
yes, that is correct, but technically, the force that the backpack exerts on the student is the normal contact force between the backpack and student, where that normal contact force is equal to the weight of the backpack, per Newton 1.

You should always draw free body diagrams of each object (student and backpack) to identify the forces acting.

1. What is the magnitude of contact force?

The magnitude of contact force is the amount of force exerted when two objects come into contact with each other. It is measured in Newtons (N).

2. How is the magnitude of contact force calculated?

The magnitude of contact force can be calculated using the formula: F = μN, where F is the contact force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of contact force?

The magnitude of contact force can be affected by several factors, including the material properties of the objects in contact, the surface area of contact, and the coefficient of friction between the two objects.

4. Why is the magnitude of contact force important in physics?

The magnitude of contact force is important in physics because it helps us understand how objects interact with each other. It is a key concept in studying static and dynamic friction, as well as the motion of objects.

5. How can the magnitude of contact force be measured?

The magnitude of contact force can be measured using a force sensor or a spring scale. These tools can provide accurate readings of the amount of force being exerted between two objects in contact.