1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of Net Torque

1. Apr 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A one-piece cylinder has a core section protruding from the larger drum and is free to rotate around its central axis. A rope wrapped around the drum of radius 1.14 m exerts a force of 4.41 N to the right on the cylinder. A rope wrapped around the core of radius 0.54 m exerts a force of 8.94 N downward on the cylinder.

What is the magnitude of the net torque acting on the cylinder about the rotation axis?
    Answer in units of N · m.
    2. Relevant equations

Torque(net)=Torque 1-Toque 2
    Torque=rFsin(phi)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted to find the 2 Torques by multiplying the radius by the given forces. I then subtracted the negative force going clockwise (F1) from the positive force going counter clockwise.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2010 #2
    I have the same problem. The one I have is that r = 1.18m, F = 3.33 N for T1, I got -(3.33)(1.18) = -3.9294 (CW = negative). My T2 is (0.42)(6.7) = 2.814. And I do T1 + T2 = R2T2 - R1T1 = -1.1154. And I got it wrong. I also tried to square T1 and T2 since it says magnitude, but it doesn't work either. PLEASE HELP!

4. Apr 11, 2010 #3
    I am still completely lost on this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook