Finding the Net Torque on a Rotating Cylinder

In summary, the problem involves a one-piece cylinder with a core section and a larger drum that is free to rotate. A rope wrapped around the drum exerts a force of 4.41 N to the right, while a rope wrapped around the core exerts a force of 8.94 N downward. The net torque acting on the cylinder about the rotation axis is calculated by subtracting the torque caused by the force on the core from the torque caused by the force on the drum. The equation used is T(net)=T1-T2, where T1 and T2 are the torques calculated using the formula T=rFsin(phi). The answer should be in units of N · m.
Bearbull24.5

Homework Statement

A one-piece cylinder has a core section protruding from the larger drum and is free to rotate around its central axis. A rope wrapped around the drum of radius 1.14 m exerts a force of 4.41 N to the right on the cylinder. A rope wrapped around the core of radius 0.54 m exerts a force of 8.94 N downward on the cylinder.

What is the magnitude of the net torque acting on the cylinder about the rotation axis?
Answer in units of N · m.

Homework Equations

Torque(net)=Torque 1-Toque 2
Torque=rFsin(phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to find the 2 Torques by multiplying the radius by the given forces. I then subtracted the negative force going clockwise (F1) from the positive force going counter clockwise.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the same problem. The one I have is that r = 1.18m, F = 3.33 N for T1, I got -(3.33)(1.18) = -3.9294 (CW = negative). My T2 is (0.42)(6.7) = 2.814. And I do T1 + T2 = R2T2 - R1T1 = -1.1154. And I got it wrong. I also tried to square T1 and T2 since it says magnitude, but it doesn't work either. PLEASE HELP!

I am still completely lost on this problem.

Related to Finding the Net Torque on a Rotating Cylinder

1. What is the definition of "Magnitude of Net Torque"?

The magnitude of net torque is a measure of the strength of the combined rotational forces acting on an object. It is the product of the distance between the point of rotation and the point where the force is being applied, and the force itself.

2. How is the magnitude of net torque calculated?

The magnitude of net torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This calculation can be written as T = F x r, where T is the torque, F is the force, and r is the distance.

3. What is the unit of measurement for magnitude of net torque?

The unit of measurement for magnitude of net torque is newton-meters (N*m) in the metric system and foot-pounds (ft*lbs) in the imperial system.

4. How does the direction of the force affect the magnitude of net torque?

The direction of the force applied determines the direction of the torque, but it does not affect the magnitude of net torque. The magnitude is only affected by the strength of the force and the distance from the point of rotation.

5. What does a higher magnitude of net torque indicate?

A higher magnitude of net torque indicates a stronger rotational force acting on an object. This can cause the object to rotate faster or with more force, depending on the object's mass and shape.