Magnitude of the displacement of a spelunker exploring a cave

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the magnitude and direction of movements using a scale and the x180/pi formula. The speaker does not understand why the answer is written in a specific way and is unsure about the calculations involving brackets. They also mention determining the EW and NS displacements and how to add them up.
jamiebean
Homework Statement
attached below:
Relevant Equations
resultant displacement=√x^2-y^2
螢幕截圖 2020-05-21 下午1.05.44.png
IMG-0918.jpg
螢幕截圖 2020-05-21 下午1.05.57.png

in part a, i tried to draw the scale and tried to determine the magnitude. But I still don't get why is the answer written in that way.
in part b: i know that x180/pi calculates the degree, but i don't understand how does this calculates the direction.
and i don't understand what's happening in the brackets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jamiebean said:
why is the answer written in that way.
For each movement, work out what the EW displacement is and what the NS displacement is.
Add up the EW displacements, making W negative and E positive (say).
Do the same for the NS displacements, N positive.

What is the magnitude of the displacement of a spelunker exploring a cave?

The magnitude of the displacement of a spelunker exploring a cave is the total distance traveled from the starting point to the final point of the journey. It is a measure of the overall length of the path taken by the spelunker.

How is the magnitude of the displacement of a spelunker calculated?

The magnitude of the displacement of a spelunker can be calculated by using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude of the displacement is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual displacements in each direction. In simpler terms, it is the square root of the sum of the squared horizontal and vertical distances traveled.

Why is the magnitude of the displacement of a spelunker important?

The magnitude of the displacement of a spelunker is important because it provides a measure of the overall distance traveled and can help determine the efficiency of the spelunker's journey. It also allows for accurate calculations of speed and velocity during the exploration.

Can the magnitude of the displacement of a spelunker be negative?

No, the magnitude of the displacement of a spelunker cannot be negative. It is a measurement of distance, which is always positive, and does not take into account direction. The displacement itself can be negative if the spelunker moves backwards, but the magnitude will always be positive.

Are there any limitations to using the magnitude of the displacement to measure the spelunker's journey?

Yes, there are limitations to using the magnitude of the displacement to measure the spelunker's journey. It does not take into account the actual path taken by the spelunker, only the starting and ending points. It also does not consider any changes in elevation or obstacles encountered during the exploration.