Magnitude of transfer function

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the magnitude and phase of a complex valued transfer function. The suggested method is to multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator, then expand the numerator using Euler's formula. The resulting complex number can then be used to find the magnitude and phase.
jisbon
Homework Statement
Find the magnitude and phase response of this system.
##H(e^{jw}) =\frac{1+e^{-jw}}{1-0.1e^{-jw}}##
Relevant Equations
-
Tried this, but not sure how am I supposed to square the whole equation and then square root it since this will inevitably give me imaginary values. Am I supposed to ignore the imaginary values?
Also, how can I find out the phase in this case? Usually, it's taking the exponents but in this case, I'm not so sure what to do.

##H(e^{jw}) =\frac{1+e^{-jw}}{1-0.1e^{-jw}}##
##H(e^{jw}) =\frac{1+e^{-jw}}{1-0.1e^{-jw}} =\frac{1+cosw-isinw}{1+0.1cosw+0.1isinw}##
If I try to square it, and find the magnitude..

|##\frac{\left(-\sin ^2\left(w\right)+2\cos \left(w\right)+\cos ^2\left(w\right)+1\right)+\left(-2\sin \left(w\right)-\sin \left(2w\right)\right)i}{...}##|

Hence I'm stumped right here.. Anyone could point me in the correct direction? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The transfer function you are starting with is a complex valued function. The magnitude is the square root of the sum of the squares of the real part and the imaginary part. Do you know how to do complex arithmetic? You have a complex number in the numerator and another in the denominator. Just apply the rules for complex algebra and it should all work out after quite a bit of scratch paper.

Would not recommend you torture yourself by expanding the terms using Eulers formula until the very end. Instead simply multiply both numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the given denominator. The denominator will then reduce to a very simple number. You can now expand the numerator according to Euler. Of course you are going to get a complex number. It will have both a magnitude and a phase. At this point the magnitude is simply root the sum of the squares of real and imaginary parts and the angle will be the arctan of the ratio of imaginary to real parts.

Likes 2milehi

1. What is the magnitude of a transfer function?

The magnitude of a transfer function is a measure of the amplitude or strength of the output response compared to the input signal. It is expressed in decibels (dB) and can range from 0 dB, representing no amplification, to infinite dB, representing infinite amplification.

2. How is the magnitude of a transfer function calculated?

The magnitude of a transfer function is calculated by taking the absolute value of the complex transfer function at a given frequency. This value is then converted to decibels using the formula: magnitude (dB) = 20 * log(base 10) (|H(jω)|), where H(jω) is the complex transfer function at frequency ω.

3. What does a high magnitude transfer function indicate?

A high magnitude transfer function indicates that the output response is significantly amplified compared to the input signal. This could mean that the system has a large gain or that the system is unstable and producing oscillations.

4. How does the magnitude of a transfer function affect system performance?

The magnitude of a transfer function is directly related to the gain of a system. A higher magnitude transfer function means a higher gain, which can improve the performance of a system by increasing its sensitivity to input signals. However, a very high magnitude transfer function can also lead to instability and unwanted oscillations in the system.

5. Can the magnitude of a transfer function change with frequency?

Yes, the magnitude of a transfer function can change with frequency. This is because different frequencies may have different effects on the system, causing the output response to be amplified or attenuated to a different degree. This can be seen in the frequency response plot of a system, where the magnitude is plotted against frequency.