Transform Calc on S^3 to S^2: Maifold Calculus

• Thread starter htaati
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the hopf map from S^3 to S^2 in calculating integrals. The concept of using R^4 as C^2 and considering all complex "lines" in C^2 is mentioned, as well as how this family of complex subspaces is homeomorphic to S^2. The idea of fibering S^3 over S^2 with fibers equal to circles is also mentioned. The main problem being discussed is how to transform an integral in S^3 to S^2, with the suggestion of using the Maple atlas package for calculations.
htaati
how can I transform my calculation on S^3 to the S^2.
for example a trace or a Fourier transform

Physics news on Phys.org
hopf map? consider R^4 as C^2, the complex 2 space, and consider all complex "lines" in C^2. this family of complex subspaces is homeomorphic to S^2, hence this fibres S^3 over S^2 with fibers equal to circles. this is the famous hopf map from S^3 to S^2.

manifold calculus

mathwonk said:
hopf map? consider R^4 as C^2, the complex 2 space, and consider all complex "lines" in C^2. this family of complex subspaces is homeomorphic to S^2, hence this fibres S^3 over S^2 with fibers equal to circles. this is the famous hopf map from S^3 to S^2.

well my problem is: I have an integral in S^3 . I want to calculate this integral.
i) in S^3.
ii) how can I transform this integral to S^2.

If you think that you need more explanation I would be glad to
sent it for you.

you might try to generalize the fubini theorem, i.e. integrate over the fibering circles first and then integrate those integrals over the 2 sphere.

but this is only indicated if the quantity being integrated somehow restects the compex circles in the hopf fibration.

May be Maple atlas package can help to make some real calculations.
See http://www.mathshop.digi-area.com/prod/atlas/index.php
It can make calculations for manifolds and mapping one into another.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a manifold in mathematics?

A manifold is a topological space that locally resembles Euclidean space. It can be thought of as a curved surface that can be smoothly mapped onto a flat plane.

2. What is the difference between a 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional manifold?

A 2-dimensional manifold is a surface that can be embedded in 3-dimensional space, while a 3-dimensional manifold is a space that can be embedded in 4-dimensional space. Essentially, a 3-dimensional manifold has more "curvature" or higher dimensionality than a 2-dimensional manifold.

3. What is the significance of transforming calculations on S^3 to S^2?

S^3 and S^2 refer to 3-dimensional and 2-dimensional spheres, respectively. Transforming calculations on S^3 to S^2 allows us to study the behavior of functions and their derivatives on curved surfaces, which has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

4. How does manifold calculus differ from traditional calculus?

Traditional calculus deals with functions on flat Euclidean spaces, while manifold calculus deals with functions on curved spaces. This means that the standard rules and formulas of calculus may not apply, and new techniques must be developed to handle the curvature and local structure of the manifold.

5. What are some real-world examples of manifolds?

Examples of manifolds in the real world include the Earth's surface, which can be approximated as a 2-dimensional manifold, and the universe, which can be modeled as a 3-dimensional manifold. Other examples include the human brain, which has a complex 3-dimensional structure, and the space-time continuum, which is a 4-dimensional manifold.