Mains voltage frequency amplifier?

In summary, the individual wants to increase the frequency of an AC power signal from 50/60 Hz to kHz range in order to improve wireless power transfer efficiency through induction. This requires using a powered circuit, such as a Colpitts or audio frequency oscillator, which can get its input power from the AC Mains and produce a higher-frequency waveform. However, finding suitable inductors for high power levels may be a challenge. The individual also mentions using a 100V PA style amplifier or a transformer to step up the voltage.
masab_ahmad
hello all
i wanted to make a circuit that takes power from the main a.c supply and increases its frequency( from 60 or 50Hz to about any frequency (lets say about 150KHz? or 15KHz?)), but the output voltage should not drop less than about 25 or 30v...

Engineering news on Phys.org
masab_ahmad said:
hello all
i wanted to make a circuit that takes power from the main a.c supply and increases its frequency( from 60 or 50Hz to about any frequency (lets say about 150KHz? or 15KHz?)), but the output voltage should not drop less than about 25 or 30v...

Sounds like you need to rectify to DC, and then chop back to AC... What is the application for such high voltage at 15kHz-150kHz?

well i actually wanted to wirelessly through induction...incresing the frequency should help...i don't understand how the conversion u mentioned would help though...

masab_ahmad said:
well i actually wanted to wirelessly through induction...incresing the frequency should help...i don't understand how the conversion u mentioned would help though...

Do you mean that you want to transfer power wirelessly through induction, and to increase the transfer efficiency, you want the frequency of the AC power to be in the kHz range, instead of the standard 50/60 Hz of the AC Mains supply?

There is no physical way to just increase the frequency of an AC power signal. You must instead make the higher-frequency waveform with a powered circuit. That circuit can get its input power from the AC Mains. It will usually rectify the input AC Mains into a DC voltage, and use that DC voltage to power the kHz oscillator and power amplifier to make your output power kHz AC waveform.

Would the easiest way be to use a 100V PA style amplifier ?
Then you can play with the frequency easily.

One of the applications in the old Sinclair Z30 / Z50 power amp applications and service manual was for a high power variable frequency oscillator for doing exactly this. I think the Z50 could reach 30 Watts.

However one problem with this approach is that you need a transformer to step up the voltage if you are using semiconductor amps. You could get old valve amps to reach mains voltages this way though.

@berkeman
thats a good idea
@mgb phys
i don't think i have acces to that amplifier
@studiot
thats a good idea too
@all
thanks for ur replies and would a colpitts oscillator do the trick?

thanks for ur replies and would a colpitts oscillator do the trick?

You are looking for an audio frequency oscillator. You would have trouble finding inductors for the power levels you require.

Traditional audio oscillator topologies such as Wein bridge or Phase shift or T would be better.

The Sinclair circuit used their amp in a Wein bridge.

What is a mains voltage frequency amplifier?

A mains voltage frequency amplifier is an electronic device that is used to amplify the frequency of the alternating current (AC) power supply coming from the electrical grid. It is typically used in industrial or scientific equipment that requires a specific frequency of power to function properly.

How does a mains voltage frequency amplifier work?

A mains voltage frequency amplifier works by converting the AC power supply to a higher frequency using electronic components such as transistors and capacitors. This amplified frequency is then used to power the equipment, while the original frequency is filtered out.

What is the purpose of using a mains voltage frequency amplifier?

The main purpose of using a mains voltage frequency amplifier is to provide a stable and precise frequency to power equipment that requires it. This is especially important in scientific experiments or industrial processes where small variations in frequency can affect the accuracy of results or the quality of the final product.

What are the common applications of mains voltage frequency amplifiers?

Mains voltage frequency amplifiers are commonly used in industries such as aerospace, telecommunications, and manufacturing. They are also used in scientific research, medical equipment, and high-end audio systems.

Can a mains voltage frequency amplifier be used to change the voltage as well?

No, a mains voltage frequency amplifier is designed specifically to change the frequency of the power supply. It cannot change the voltage, as this requires a different type of electronic device called a voltage regulator.