Make a Manilla Folder Propeller for Physics Project

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics project involving the creation of a car using index cards, manila folders, paper clips, drinking straws, glue, tape, and rubber bands. The individual is attaching a propeller to the car, but needs help with a suitable design using a manila folder that is no more than 3 inches across. There is also a question about the efficiency of using a propeller to move a car and the need for an airfoil design. The suggestion is to simply bend the blades at a flat angle instead.
physics999help
I have a physics project where I am supposed to make a car from index cards, manilla folders, paper clips, drinking straws, glue, tape, rubber bands, etc. I am attaching a propeller to the back, but I need a decent design i can make by cutting and bending a manilla folder. It should not be more than 3 inches across. Pretty, much, i need someone to give me dimensions for a workable propeller.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you want to use a propeller to move a car? Seems pretty inefficient to me. And unless you are going to spin that propeller extremely fast, you don't need an airfoil design for it. Just bend the blades at a flat angle.

One possible design for a manilla folder propeller could be to cut out a rectangular shape from the folder, approximately 3 inches long and 1 inch wide. Then, use scissors to cut small slits along each long edge of the rectangle, leaving about 1/4 inch of uncut space at the top and bottom. Bend each of the slits upwards to create a curved shape, resembling a fan. You can also use a pencil or ruler to help create more defined curves. Once you have all the slits bent, use tape or glue to secure them in place. Finally, attach the propeller to the back of your car using a paper clip or rubber band. You may need to experiment with the angle and position of the propeller to find the most efficient design for your car. Good luck with your project!

1. How do I make a manila folder propeller?

To make a manila folder propeller, you will need a manila folder, scissors, a ruler, and a pencil. First, cut a rectangular piece of the manila folder that is about 10 cm long and 2 cm wide. Then, use the ruler to draw two diagonal lines from each corner of the rectangle to the center. Cut along these lines, leaving about 1 cm of uncut space in the center. Finally, fold each of the four blades you just created backwards to create the propeller shape.

2. What is the purpose of making a manila folder propeller?

The purpose of making a manila folder propeller is to demonstrate the principles of aerodynamics and lift. By attaching the propeller to a motor or a fan, you can observe how the shape and angle of the blades affect the movement and lift of the propeller.

3. How does a manila folder propeller work?

A manila folder propeller works by utilizing the principles of aerodynamics. As the blades rotate, they create lift and push air downwards, causing the propeller to move in the opposite direction. The shape and angle of the blades determine the amount of lift and thrust generated.

4. Can I make a manila folder propeller with other materials?

Yes, you can make a propeller with other materials such as cardstock, plastic, or foam board. The key is to create a shape that can rotate and generate lift when air flows over it. However, using a manila folder is a cost-effective and easily accessible option for a physics project.

5. How can I improve the performance of my manila folder propeller?

To improve the performance of your manila folder propeller, you can experiment with different blade shapes and angles. You can also try attaching multiple propellers to the same motor or fan to see how they interact with each other. Additionally, you can vary the speed of the motor or fan to observe how it affects the movement and lift of the propeller.