Making a metal permanently positive and permanently negative

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a permanently positive and negative charge on a metal sheet, the use of alternating potential to create an oscillating charge, and the movement of plates with opposite charges towards each other. The conversation also suggests using simple equipment, such as an electroscope, to explore electrostatic experiments and discover the effects of static electricity.
Hypothesis
Hi
I am in a spot of bother. Actually I live in an under developed country where science and technology is not upto the modern standards and there is very little practical facilities. I want to ask if I have a metal sheet of some thickness how it could be made permenantly positive and permenantly negative and is it possible that a plate is positively charge for one second and it is negatively charged in the other by any means. And lastly if one plate is positive and other is negative will they actually move toward each other and positive-positive will move away from each other.
THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Hypothesis
Hi
I am in a spot of bother. Actually I live in an under developed country where science and technology is not upto the modern standards and there is very little practical facilities. I want to ask if I have a metal sheet of some thickness how it could be made permenantly positive and permenantly negative and is it possible that a plate is positively charge for one second and it is negatively charged in the other by any means. And lastly if one plate is positive and other is negative will they actually move toward each other and positive-positive will move away from each other.
THANKS!

No, you can't permanently have a positive charge on one side and negative on the other. Metals try to keep electric fields from penetrating them so the field inside is zero. This property means that if you have a uniform electric field perpendicular to your metal plate it will have a positive charge on one surface and a negative charge on the other. But when you take the field away the charges move around to cancel again. So all you need is a permanent electric field.

If the plate is connected to an alternating source of potential then the charge on the plate will oscilate. You have essentially built a capacitor with the plate and ground.

If one plate is positive and one is negatively charged then they will try to move toward each other. If they are free to move then they will move. It's possible to calculate the force on each plate if you know the charge density, the separation and the area.

Hypothesis,
if you're interested in electrostatic experiments, I think it's not a big drawback if you have only simple equipment at hand. On the contrary, since most of the effects have been discovered in ancient times, it should be possible reproducing them with simple equipment today.

First, you need a simple device which reliably indicates electric charge. Two thin strips of aluminum (e.g. from a chocolate wrapper) will do. Hang them down from a piece of uninsulated wire, and stick the wire thru a small bottle's cork from its bottom. Then replace the cork into the bottle, so that the strips hang freely inside. You might want to attach a small metal ball (crumpled aluminum) to the top end of the wire sticking out of the cork. Now you have an electroscope.

Next, try rubbing agents. A plastic ballpen might do. Rub it fast, but not hard, against some fur (I use my own hair), and then try to transfer the electricity to your electoscope. If there is any charge, the aluminum strips will spread apart and stay like this. You can discharge them by touching the conductor ball with your finger.

Play around with different rubbing agents, modify your electroscope, and so on. I'm sure you will discover all major effects in static electricity, and... it's fun!

1. How can a metal be made permanently positive and permanently negative?

This can be achieved through a process called electroplating, where a metal is coated with a layer of another metal using an electric current. The metal being coated will become the cathode and attract positively charged ions, while the metal being used as the coating will become the anode and attract negatively charged ions. This results in a permanent change in the charges of the metals.

2. What are the benefits of making a metal permanently positive and permanently negative?

One benefit is that it can prevent corrosion. The negatively charged metal will act as a sacrificial anode, protecting the positively charged metal from oxidation. Additionally, it can improve the appearance and durability of the metal, making it more resistant to wear and tear.

3. Can any metal be made permanently positive and permanently negative?

Yes, any metal can undergo electroplating to become permanently positive or negative. However, the success of the process depends on the compatibility of the metals being used and the conditions of the electroplating process.

4. Is there a limit to how much a metal can be charged?

Yes, there is a limit to how much a metal can be charged. Once a metal reaches a certain charge, it will repel additional ions and the electroplating process will stop. This limit is known as the metal's saturation point.

5. How long does it take to make a metal permanently positive or negative?

The duration of the electroplating process can vary depending on the size and type of metal being plated, as well as the desired thickness of the coating. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours to achieve a permanent charge on a metal.