Making an existentially-quanified statement to define composite number and prime

In summary: Just remember to use 'and' instead of '∧' when writing out the statement. Keep up the good work! In summary, an existentially quantified statement for composite numbers is that there exists a natural number m that divides n and is greater than 1 but less than n. A definition for prime numbers using symbolic notation is that for a number p, it is only divisible by 1 and itself, where p is greater than 1 and n is a natural number.
Iwantttt
Sorry if I'm writing on wrong board.

Homework Statement

1) Write an existentially quantified statement to express conditions for composite number ( composite number m is greater than 1 and there is a natural number greater than besides 1 and m, that divides m)
2) Writing definition using symbolic notation for prime numbers? (p is greater than 1, only natural numbers greater than 0 thatt divides p are 1 and p)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

∃ m ∈ ℕ, m ∣ n => 1<m<n
for the composite

∀ a,b ∈ ℕ: a/b=p ∧ a=p ∧ b=1
for the prime

I'm 100% sure I'm doing something wrong.. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Iwantttt said:

The Attempt at a Solution

∃ m ∈ ℕ, m ∣ n => 1<m<n
for the composite

If m does not divide n, your statement always holds so every number ends up being composite. You shouldn't be using implications to do this. Try something like
∃ m ∈ ℕ, (_____ and _____)

where you fill in the blanks

∀ a,b ∈ ℕ: a/b=p ∧ a=p ∧ b=1
for the prime

Why is a/b=p here? Primes aren't defined based on what divides to get them

Ok. thanks for the advice. How does this look?

∃ m ∈ ℕ, m∣n ∧ 1<m<n
for the composite

∀ n ∈ ℕ: n∣p ⇔ n=1 ∧ n=p
for the prime

It looks good to me.

What is an existentially-quantified statement?

An existentially-quantified statement is a logical statement that uses the existential quantifier (∃) to assert the existence of at least one object that satisfies a given condition. In other words, it says that there is at least one thing that has a certain property or meets a certain criteria.

How is a composite number defined?

A composite number is defined as any positive integer that can be evenly divided by at least one number other than 1 and itself. In other words, it has more than two factors.

How is a prime number defined?

A prime number is defined as any positive integer that has exactly two factors: 1 and itself. In other words, it is only divisible by 1 and itself.

What does it mean to make an existentially-quantified statement to define a composite number?

Making an existentially-quantified statement to define a composite number means using the existential quantifier (∃) to assert that there exists at least one positive integer (the composite number) that can be evenly divided by at least one number other than 1 and itself. This statement is true for all composite numbers.

What does it mean to make an existentially-quantified statement to define a prime number?

Making an existentially-quantified statement to define a prime number means using the existential quantifier (∃) to assert that there exists at least one positive integer (the prime number) that has exactly two factors: 1 and itself. This statement is true for all prime numbers.