Making MATLAB Code Efficient: A 2xN Vector

In summary, the conversation is about optimizing MATLAB code and combining two lines of code into one using the bsxfun function or the repmat function if bsxfun is not available.
Meurig
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make my MATLAB code run as efficiently as possible.

II have a 2xN vector designated like so:
acc1(1,:) = A*rc(1,:);
acc1(2,:) = B*rc(2,:);

where A and B are scalars,.

Is it possible to combine these two into a single line of code?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
If acc1 and rc have only 2 rows, then you can use: acc1=bsxfun(@times, rc, [A; B]);

If acc1 and/or rc have more than 2 rows, then: acc1(1:2, :)=bsxfun(@times, rc(1:2, :), [A; B]);

Documentation for http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/ref/bsxfun.html"

Another way to do it (if your version of Matlab doesn't have bsxfun): acc1=rc.*repmat([A; B], 1, size(rc, 2));

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much!

Related to Making MATLAB Code Efficient: A 2xN Vector

What is MATLAB?

MATLAB is a software platform designed for numerical computing, data analysis, and visualization. It is widely used by engineers, scientists, and mathematicians for its powerful tools and user-friendly interface.

What is the purpose of making MATLAB code efficient?

The main purpose of making MATLAB code efficient is to reduce the execution time and memory usage of a program. This can be achieved by optimizing the algorithm, using built-in functions, and avoiding unnecessary loops and operations.

What is a 2xN vector in MATLAB?

A 2xN vector in MATLAB is a two-dimensional array with two rows and N columns. It is often used to store and manipulate data in a matrix form, where the first row represents one set of values, and the second row represents another set of values.

How can I make my MATLAB code more efficient?

There are several ways to make your MATLAB code more efficient. These include vectorizing operations, preallocating arrays, avoiding unnecessary variables, and using efficient built-in functions. It is also important to optimize your algorithm and minimize the number of loops and conditional statements.

What are some common pitfalls to avoid when writing efficient MATLAB code?

Some common pitfalls to avoid when writing efficient MATLAB code include using nested loops, using unnecessary variables, and not preallocating arrays. It is also important to avoid excessive copying and resizing of arrays, as these can significantly slow down the execution time of a program.