Making sence of this equation?

• Thread starter atypical
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing an equation involving velocity, initial velocity, and height. One person is asking for clarification on the components of the equation, specifically the square root of gd/2 and where it is coming from. The other person provides a correction to the equation and acknowledges their mistake. They then explain that the square root of gd/2 represents a maximum velocity, and there is a relationship between vi sintheta and the square root of gd/2.
atypical

Homework Statement

See picture please

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I understand:
vi sin(theta) = initial velocity height on velocity/time graph
What I don't understand:
sqrt(gd/2) is this gravity times initial distance height of target?
Where is the second side of the equation is coming from?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{gd}{2}}[/tex]= some velocity that is less than or equal to vsintheta which is another velocity. So when d is at the maximum height both sides should equal each other

ok, i understand that it is a velocity, but where is it coming from? why is is the square root of gd/2?

i re read your problem and I'm sorry i gave the wrong advice.

umm vf2 = vi2+2ad

not sure where the 1/2 came from. sorry its late

So from the equation that you posted, they are deriving vi sintheta is greater than or equal to sqart (gd/2)?

ok, i understand that it is a velocity, but where is the square root of gd/2 coming from? anyone?

1. What is the purpose of "Making sense of this equation?"

The purpose of making sense of an equation is to understand the relationships between different variables and how they affect each other. This can help us solve problems and make predictions based on the information provided by the equation.

2. How do I know if I have solved the equation correctly?

You can check if you have solved the equation correctly by plugging in your solution back into the equation and seeing if it satisfies all the conditions. You can also use a calculator or computer program to verify your solution.

3. Can I modify the equation to make it easier to solve?

Yes, you can modify the equation by rearranging terms or using algebraic techniques to simplify it. However, be careful to not change the meaning or relationships within the equation.

4. How can I use this equation in real-life situations?

Equations are used to model and understand real-world phenomena. By making sense of an equation, you can apply it to real-life situations and make predictions or solve problems. For example, the equation for distance can be used to calculate how long it would take to travel a certain distance at a given speed.

5. What if I don't understand the equation or how to solve it?

If you are struggling with understanding or solving an equation, it can be helpful to break it down into smaller parts and try to understand each component individually. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or peers who may have a better understanding of the equation. Practice and persistence are key in making sense of equations.