Making this derivative look prettier

• Thread starter Flappy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the first and second derivatives of the function f(x) = x^{1/3} * e^{-x^2} and solving for inflection points. The first derivative is simplified to [e^{-x^2}]*[-2x^{4/3} + \frac {1}{3}x^{-2/3}] and the second derivative is further simplified to [e^{-x^2}]*[\frac {-8}{3}x^{1/3} - \frac {2}{9}x^{-5/3} + 4x^{7/3
Flappy

Homework Statement

Find the 1st and 2nd derivative:

[tex]f(x) = x^{1/3}* e^{-x^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]f'(x) = x^{1/3} * -2xe^{-x^2} + e^{-x^2} * \frac {1}{3}x^{-2/3}[/tex]

I simplified this to:
[tex][e^{-x^2}]*[-2x^{4/3} + \frac {1}{3}x^{-2/3}][/tex]

Also to find the x values is

[tex]-2x^{4/3} + \frac {1}{3}x^{-2/3}[/tex]
[tex]x^{-2/3}*[-2x^{2} + \frac {1}{3}][/tex]

[tex]x^{2} = 1/6[/tex]
[tex]x = +- \sqrt{1/6}[/tex]

Okay now I'm trying to make the 2nd derivative be simplified so I can solve for the inflection points.

[tex]f''(x) = [e^{-x^{2}}]*[\frac {-8}{3}x^{1/3} - \frac {2}{9}x^{-5/3}] + [-2x^{4/3} + \frac {1}{3}x^{-2/3}]*[-2xe^{-x^{2}}] [/tex]

Im kind of stuck after this. I think it would involve taking out an [tex]e^{-x{2}}[/tex] but it's very confusing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
… just keep going …

Hi Flappy! :smile:

Just keep going … you should get [tex]}x^{-5/3} e^{-x^2} [/tex] times a quadratic in x^2. :smile:

Hmm I tried to do this:

[tex] e^{-x^{2}}[ -\frac {8}{3}x^{1/3} - \frac {2}{9}x^{-5/3} + 4x^{7/3} - \frac {2}{3}x^{1/3}][/tex]

I multiplied the -2x and then took out the e^(-x^2). Would this be right? I'm not sure where you're getting x^(-5/3)

Ah, i think i see it. There's a common factor of x^(-5/3)

1. What is the purpose of making a derivative look prettier?

Making a derivative look prettier involves using aesthetically pleasing formatting and organization in order to make the information easier to understand and more visually appealing.

2. How can I make my derivative look prettier?

There are various techniques for making a derivative look prettier, such as using clear and concise notation, organizing the information in a logical manner, and incorporating visually appealing elements like graphs and diagrams.

3. Why is it important to make a derivative look prettier?

Aesthetically pleasing derivatives can be more engaging and easier to comprehend, which can be beneficial for both the creator and the audience. It can also make the information more memorable and help with retention.

4. Are there any specific guidelines for making a derivative look prettier?

There are no set rules for making a derivative look prettier, as it ultimately depends on personal preference and the intended audience. However, some general guidelines include using consistent formatting, avoiding clutter, and incorporating visual aids when appropriate.

5. Can making a derivative look prettier affect its accuracy?

No, making a derivative look prettier should not affect its accuracy as long as the mathematical concepts and calculations remain correct. However, it is important to ensure that the aesthetic changes do not alter the meaning or understanding of the information.