Man-Days and Man-Hours: Understanding Units of Work Measurement

In summary, a man-day or man-hour is a measurement of work completed by one person in a given amount of time.
paulmdrdo1
If 3 m e n do a job in 12 days and two of the me n are three time s as fast as the third,
how long will it take one of the faster men to do the job ?

this is how I solved it

let x = required time for one of the faster men to do the job alone
3x = time taken by third to finish a job alone.

$\frac{1}{3x}+\frac{1}{3x}+\frac{1}{x}=\frac{1}{12}$

x = 20 days

is this correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
No, that's not correct. The way I see it, if would take the slow man $12\cdot7=84$ days to complete the job alone, so one of the faster men would take \(\displaystyle \frac{84}{3}=28\) days.

You would find this also by using:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3x}+\frac{2}{x}=\frac{1}{12}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{7}{3x}=\frac{1}{12}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{3x}{7}=12\)

\(\displaystyle x=28\)

$12\cdot7=84$ where did you get this?

The two faster men can do the work of 6 slower men, so having the two faster men and one slow man working is equivalent to 7 slow men working.

markFL, I saw a solution to this that uses "man-day" which until now I don't have a complete understanding. can you explain about it?

some say that man-day is the work-rate of a single man in one day
some say that it is the amount of work a single person need to complete a job.
some say it is a work-load. which confuses me all the time I encounter these types of problems.

I'm hoping that you could show me the explanation about it. Thanks!

Simply put, a man-day is the amount of work one man can get done in one day.

You may have heard a more commonly used unit of man-hours. For example, it may be reported to have taken 2,000 man-hours to complete the design of the PCM for the latest hypercar. This may mean 1 man working for 2,000 hours or 2,000 men working for 1 hour, or 4 men working an average of 500 hours each, etc.

What is a linear equation and how is it used?

A linear equation is an algebraic expression that represents a straight line on a graph. It can be written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. Linear equations are commonly used in mathematics and science to model real-world situations and make predictions.

What are some common applications of linear equations?

Linear equations have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, economics, engineering, and statistics. Some common examples include calculating distance, speed, and time in physics problems, predicting future sales or profits in business, and analyzing trends in data sets.

How do you solve a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of two or more linear equations with multiple variables. To solve a system of linear equations, you can use methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate one variable and then substituting its value into the other equations to find the solution.

What is the importance of understanding linear equations in science?

Linear equations allow scientists to represent and analyze real-world phenomena in a mathematical way. By using linear equations, scientists can make predictions, test hypotheses, and gain a better understanding of how different variables are related to each other. Linear equations also serve as the foundation for more complex mathematical concepts used in science.

What are some common misconceptions about linear equations?

One common misconception is that linear equations can only have two variables, when in fact they can have any number of variables. Another misconception is that the slope of a line is always positive, when in fact it can be negative or zero. It is also important to note that linear equations are not always the most accurate way to model real-world situations, as some phenomena may follow a different pattern than a straight line.