Man swinging accross a canyon

• Thread starter godofrock
  • Start date
In summary, a new user on the forum asks for help with a problem modeling course question about a man trying to traverse a 50m canyon with a 30m grapple hook and camping equipment. They also request information on the relevant areas of physics/mechanics for solving this problem. Another user responds with questions about the security of the rock and the length of the rope attached to the grapple hook. The original poster is reminded to make an attempt at the problem themselves before seeking assistance on the forum.
godofrock
Hi guys, I am new here so be gentle please.

I have been set the following question for a problem modelling course.

Homework Statement

A man needs to traverse a canyon of width 50m, he has a grapple hook that is attached to a conveniently placed rock that is 30m long. Can he make it across? He also has a bag full of camping equipment, should he attempt to take this with him?

2. My question

I was wondering if anyone could inform me the general areas of physics/mechanics that will be useful in attempting to solve this problem.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

Welcome to PF!

Hi godofrock! Welcome to PF! :smile:

7 days is a long time … don't wait more than 1 day in future, if nobody answers! :smile:

Is that the full question?

How secure is the rock? Which end is the rope attached to? How long is the rope?

If the rock is secure, and the rope is long enough, I don't see what the problem is (btw, I suspect that's why nobody answered first time round). :confused:

The most likely reason nobody answered you for such a long time is that the question seems incomplete as tiny-tim has mentioned. Plus you have asked for assistance without any attempt at the problem your self. See this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379

What is the purpose of a man swinging across a canyon?

The purpose of a man swinging across a canyon is often for recreational or thrill-seeking purposes. It can also be used as a form of transportation in areas where canyons are present.

How is a man able to swing across a canyon?

A man is able to swing across a canyon by using a rope or cable attached to a fixed point on one side of the canyon and then using their body weight and momentum to swing to the other side.

What safety precautions should be taken when swinging across a canyon?

It is important for a man swinging across a canyon to wear proper safety equipment, such as a harness and helmet. It is also crucial to have a trained professional supervise the activity and to carefully inspect all equipment before use.

What are the potential risks of swinging across a canyon?

The potential risks of swinging across a canyon include falling, getting tangled in the rope or cable, and injury from impact with the canyon walls. It is important to properly assess the risks and take necessary precautions before attempting this activity.

What skills are needed to swing across a canyon?

To successfully swing across a canyon, a person should have a good sense of balance, coordination, and strength. They should also have a basic understanding of how to use the equipment and follow safety procedures.