Manganese Oxide mixed with HCL.

• Thread starter thomasxc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hcl Mixed
In summary, when manganese oxide from an alkaline battery is mixed with HCl, it can produce chlorine gas and manganese chloride. However, the exact color of the resulting substance may vary depending on the concentration of the solution. Some sources suggest that hydrated manganese chloride can appear pink, while concentrated solutions may appear dark green or black. The color of chlorine gas itself is pale yellow-green, not dark green. The color of the resulting substance may also depend on whether it is in solid or solution form.
thomasxc
Could someone please tell me What would be created when manganese oxide from an alkaline battery mixed with HCL? Theoretically, as far as I know, it should be pink, but I got a green substance.Thanks in advance

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Manganese dioxide (MnO2), from batteries, can react with hydrochloric acid (HCl) to produce chlorine gas (Cl2) and manganese chloride (MnCl2). In its hydrated form, manganese chloride tetrahydrate (MnCl2 * 4 H2O) is pink.

Perhaps when one has a very concentrated solution of MnCl2 it is green? This is just a guess, but it is the case with copper(II) salts too. For example, hydrated copper chloride forms blue solutions but very concentrated solutions appear dark green / black.

MnCl2 is never green. Mn(V) ions are...

When you add HCl to MnO2, Chlorine a dark green gas is released. Maybe that's what you saw.

If the amount of chlorine was large enough for a dark green color to be observed, OP would choke to death before getting to keyboard and reporting what he have seen.

I have personally experimented with MnO2 from a battery mixed it with Muriatic Acid and a dark green Chlorine is observed!

Last edited by a moderator:
chem101 said:
a dark green Chlorine is observed

Chlorine is not dark green. It is pale yellow-green, but not dark. No doubts it will be observed, but the color will be not dark green.

OP wasn't clear but he didn't stated "gas", nor "choking gas", so I guess he referred to the color of a solid or solution.

Last edited:
I stand corrected. I guess thomasxc's green substance is still a mystery!

Related to Manganese Oxide mixed with HCL.

1. What is "Manganese Oxide mixed with HCL"?

Manganese Oxide mixed with HCL refers to a chemical reaction between manganese oxide (MnO) and hydrochloric acid (HCL). This produces manganese chloride (MnCl2) and water (H2O).

2. What are the uses of Manganese Oxide mixed with HCL?

Manganese Oxide mixed with HCL can be used in industrial processes, such as the production of batteries and ceramics. It can also be used in laboratory experiments and as a reagent in chemical reactions.

3. What are the potential hazards of Manganese Oxide mixed with HCL?

When handling Manganese Oxide mixed with HCL, it is important to wear protective gear as both manganese oxide and hydrochloric acid can be harmful if ingested or inhaled. In addition, the reaction may produce hydrogen gas, which is flammable and can cause explosions in enclosed spaces.

4. How is the reaction between Manganese Oxide and HCL controlled?

The reaction between Manganese Oxide and HCL is typically controlled by monitoring the temperature and concentration of both substances. The reaction may be exothermic, so cooling may be necessary to prevent overheating. The concentration of the reactants can also be adjusted to control the rate of the reaction.

5. Can Manganese Oxide mixed with HCL be used in environmental applications?

Yes, Manganese Oxide mixed with HCL can be used in environmental applications, such as removing heavy metals from contaminated water. The reaction between manganese oxide and hydrochloric acid can help to dissolve and remove these metals, making the water safer for human consumption.