Manipulate partial derivatives to obtain desired physical expression

In summary: So, in summary, we have shown that expression A, T(dP/dT)|V - P, is equal to expression B, T^2 * [d(P/T)/dT]|V. We have also shown that expression C, -[d(P/T)/d(1/T)]|V, is equal to expression B. This was done by starting with the ideal gas law and using the fact that at constant volume, pressure is proportional to temperature.
Roo2

Homework Statement

Show that the expression A,

T(dP/dT)|V - P

is equal to expression B,

T^2 * [d(P/T)/dT]|V

Also, show that expression C,

-[d(P/T)/d(1/T)]|V

is also equal to expression B

Homework Equations

A: temperature * (dPresure/dTemperature at constant volume) - Pressue

B: Temperature^2 * d(Pressure/Temperature)/dTemperature at constant volume

C: - d(Pressure/Temperature)/d(1/Temperature) at constant volume

The Attempt at a Solution

Uhh... P/T = nR/V and 1/T = nR/PV... but I'm not sure how to keep the volumes and pressures constant in my solution. I feel like the second question should be especially simple but I just don't see the operations needed to do it. Could anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
The starting point is the ideal gas law, expressed in terms of P as a function of T:

P(T) = (nRT)/V

Now, if V = const., then P is just proportional to T, (i.e. P = const. * T), with the constant of proportionality given by: nR/V

Take expression A. Let's just focus on the partial derivative:

[tex] \frac{\partial P(T)}{\partial T}\bigg|_V = \frac{\partial}{\partial T}\left( \frac{nR}{V}T\right) \bigg|_V = \frac{nR}{V} [/tex]

where the last step is just because the effect of differentiating w.r.t. T is to get rid of the factor of T and keep the constant out front.

Now, if you multiply this partial derivative by T, you just get back what you started with. If you then subtract P, what is THAT equal to? :wink:

Mmk... So using that, I get the following relationship.

T(dP/dT)|V - P =

T(d[nRT/V]/dT] - P =

T(nR/V) - nRT/V = 0

Also,

T^2 d(P/T)/dT | V = T^2 (d[nR/V]/dT) = 0

Is this correct?

cepheid said:
The starting point is the ideal gas law, expressed in terms of P as a function of T:

P(T) = (nRT)/V

Now, if V = const., then P is just proportional to T, (i.e. P = const. * T), with the constant of proportionality given by: nR/V

Take expression A. Let's just focus on the partial derivative:

[tex] \frac{\partial P(T)}{\partial T}\bigg|_V = \frac{\partial}{\partial T}\left( \frac{nR}{V}T\right) \bigg|_V = \frac{nR}{V} [/tex]

where the last step is just because the effect of differentiating w.r.t. T is to get rid of the factor of T and keep the constant out front.

Now, if you multiply this partial derivative by T, you just get back what you started with. If you then subtract P, what is THAT equal to? :wink:

Roo2 said:
Mmk... So using that, I get the following relationship.

T(dP/dT)|V - P =

T(d[nRT/V]/dT] - P =

T(nR/V) - nRT/V = 0

Also,

T^2 d(P/T)/dT | V = T^2 (d[nR/V]/dT) = 0

Is this correct?

Yes, I think that that is correct.

Thanks!

1. How do you manipulate partial derivatives to obtain a desired physical expression?

To manipulate partial derivatives, you can use various mathematical techniques such as the chain rule, product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. It is important to carefully follow the rules and equations for each technique to accurately manipulate the partial derivatives and obtain the desired physical expression.

2. Why is it important to manipulate partial derivatives in scientific research?

Manipulating partial derivatives allows scientists to mathematically model the behavior and relationships between physical quantities. This is crucial in scientific research as it helps to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems and phenomena.

3. Can partial derivatives be manipulated for any physical expression?

Partial derivatives can be manipulated for most physical expressions, as long as the expression is differentiable. This means that the expression must be continuous and have a well-defined tangent line at each point in its domain.

4. Are there any limitations to manipulating partial derivatives?

One limitation of manipulating partial derivatives is that it can become increasingly complicated and time-consuming for more complex expressions. In some cases, it may be necessary to use numerical methods or computer software to accurately manipulate the partial derivatives.

5. How can I check if I have correctly manipulated partial derivatives?

To check if you have correctly manipulated partial derivatives, you can use the inverse process of differentiation, also known as integration. By integrating the manipulated expression, you should end up with the original expression. Additionally, you can also compare your results with known solutions or use computer software to verify your calculations.