Euclidean Group Maps: Proving Injectivity, Surjectivity, and Inverses

• Thread starter Thales Castro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, Euclidian groups are mathematical concepts that describe a set of points and transformations in space that preserve distance and angles. They are commonly used to represent geometric objects, such as maps. Some examples of Euclidian groups include translations, rotations, and reflections, which can be applied to objects without changing their size or shape. In maps, Euclidian groups are used to accurately represent spatial relationships between points and objects. However, their limitations in assuming a flat, two-dimensional surface make them less accurate for mapping the curved Earth. Euclidian groups also have applications in other scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and computer science, where they are used to describe and analyze physical systems and serve as the basis for many algorithms and
Thales Castro

Homework Statement

The n-dimentional Euclidean group ## E^{n} ## is made of an n-dimentional translation ## a: x \mapsto x+a ## (##x,a \in \mathbb{R}^{n}## ) and a ## O(n) ## rotation ## R: x \mapsto Rx ##, ##R \in O(n) ##. A general element ## (R,a) ## of ## E^{n} ## acts on ## x ## by ## (R,a): x \mapsto Rx + a ##. The product is defined by ## (R_{2},a_{2}) \times (R_{1},a_{1}): x \mapsto R_{2}(R_{1}x + a_{1}) + a_{2} ##, that is, ## (R_{2},a_{2}) \circ (R_{1},a_{1}) = (R_{2}R_{1},R_{2}a_{1}+a_{2}) ##. Show that the maps ## a ##, ## R ##, and ## (R,a) ## are bijections. Find their inverse maps.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
It is not very hard to prove that they're all injective. For instance, if ## x,x' \in \mathbb{R}^{n} ## with ## x \neq x' ##, we can do a proof by contradiction. If the map is not injective, then it is possible that ## x + a = x' + a ##, which implies that ## x = x' ##. So, we can conclude that the translation map is injective. The proofs for ## R ## and ## (R,a) ## are analogous.
I don't know how to prove that they're surjective. It makes intuitive sense to me (if we think of a plane, for example, it's easy to see that every point on the plane after a rotation/translation must come from a point on the "standard" plane), but I'm not sure how to formally write this.
Another question is: do I really need to prove that they are injective and then prove that they are surjective? Would it be enough to just find an inverse map and prove that the composition is the identity?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The inverses of the translation and the rotation are more or less easy to find. This is shorter than to bother about surjectivity. In a similar way you could try to solve ##(R_2,a_2)\cdot (R_1,a_1) = 1 = (1,0)##.

fresh_42 said:
The inverses of the translation and the rotation are more or less easy to find. This is shorter than to bother about surjectivity. In a similar way you could try to solve ##(R_2,a_2)\cdot (R_1,a_1) = 1 = (1,0)##.

Thanks for the reply!

I understand that it is much easier in this case to just find the inverse map. But, for the sake of the exercise, I still want to find a proof that the maps are surjective, I just don't know how to formally write it.

Well, in case of ##x \mapsto x+a##, you only have to show, that for every ##y## there is an ##x## that maps on ##y##. It already is there: ##x=y-a## does it. Similar for rotations. So to find a preimage point that maps to a given image point, is basically the same as to apply the inverse function.

The combined functions ##(R,a)## may be a bit more difficult, but in principle it's the same. A function ##f : X \longrightarrow Y## is surjective, if every ##y \in Y## is hit, i.e. has an ##x \in X## with ##f(x)=y##. To find such an ##x## given the ##y##, we have to invert ##f##. In case ##f## is only surjective and not injective, there can be found more than one candidate for ##x##, e.g. ##x \mapsto x^2##, but here it is only a single ##x##, so ##x = f^{-1}(y)## and we have inverted ##f## anyways.

Likes Thales Castro

What is an Euclidian group?

An Euclidian group is a mathematical concept that describes a set of points and transformations in space that preserve distance and angles. They are frequently used to represent geometric objects, such as maps.

What are some common examples of Euclidian groups?

Some common examples of Euclidian groups include translations, rotations, and reflections. These transformations can be applied to objects in space without changing their size or shape.

How are Euclidian groups used in maps?

In maps, Euclidian groups are used to represent the spatial relationships between points and objects. They allow for accurate measurements and calculations of distances and angles between locations.

What are the limitations of Euclidian groups in mapping?

One limitation of Euclidian groups in mapping is that they assume a flat, two-dimensional surface. This does not accurately represent the curvature of the Earth, so more advanced mathematical concepts, such as non-Euclidian geometry, are used in cartography to create more accurate maps.

How are Euclidian groups relevant in other scientific fields?

Euclidian groups have applications in various scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and computer science. They are used to describe and analyze the properties of physical systems, and are the basis for many algorithms and data structures in computer science.