Marketing and science don't always mix

In summary, this "Energy drink" is heavily marketed with a questionable premise. It has no gluten and is GMO-free, but it is missing other important ingredients. It has 1.27x10^16 calories which is more than many other drinks, but the marketing makes it sound like it has a lot more energy than it does.
scottdave
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Do you think Coke was thinking science when naming this "Energy drink" ??
Do they know how much energy zero calories represents?

Coke0-calorie-can-pic.png
Zero-Calorie-Energy-bottom.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes jack action, WWGD, collinsmark and 6 others
Physics news on Phys.org
It's just that they considered a division there too difficult so they omitted it o0)

The miracle of Coca-Cola!

Who would want to buy a drink named PLACEBO.

Likes jack action
If I drink this, will I become a perpetual motion machine? 🤞

• Haha
Likes jack action, nuuskur and berkeman
Haborix said:
If I drink this, will I become a perpetual motion machine? 🤞
Sorry, we are not allowed to discuss Free Energy Drinks on PF.

Unless the discussion is about free drinks or something... :wink:

• Haha
Likes scottdave, Keith_McClary, hutchphd and 4 others
It’s bad marketing, as they just as easily could have branded the energy it provides as 100% green and renewable

Likes 256bits
The GMO-free is also missing.
Suspicious. I've seen that even on water bottles.

• Haha
Likes nuuskur, 256bits and BWV
Shouldn't it technically be about ##1.27\times 10^{16}## calories?

BWV said:
It’s bad marketing, as they just as easily could have branded the energy it provides as 100% green and renewable
Yeah
Green Energy Drink

Rive said:
The GMO-free is also missing.
Suspicious. I've seen that even on water bottles.
Don't forget, "no gluten."

Likes BillTre
They could call it the worlds finest ginger beer too if they wanted.

I only drink fat-free water!

• Haha
Likes nuuskur
I only drink transparent water :cool: (NOT dest-water, don't even try :D )

Pop science and marketing might mix very well. I've thought about this a bit and came to the conclusion that scientists are often too modest (and this is preferable) for marketing, whereas in marketing things need to be embellished, which again isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the two don't mix that well imho.

So, if you put zero cals on your soda can, that will, by default, contribute to more sales of the (god-awful digusting stomach-turning) product.

As far as embellishments go, the less there are, the better, in my experience. For example, there's a native producer for all sorts of hygiene related things: shampoos, conditioners, soaps, lotions etc etc. These are more expensive than the widely known counterparts, but the package design is laid back and not littered with all sorts of embellishments. And people still buy them. So, if you have a good product, you don't need to make it shiny.

What is the relationship between marketing and science?

The relationship between marketing and science is complex and multifaceted. While they may seem like completely separate fields, they are actually closely intertwined. Science provides the foundation for understanding consumer behavior and the effectiveness of marketing strategies, while marketing uses scientific methods to gather data and inform decision-making.

Why do some people believe that marketing and science don't mix?

Some people believe that marketing and science don't mix because they view marketing as a manipulative and superficial field that prioritizes profits over ethical considerations. They may also believe that science is objective and unbiased, while marketing is subjective and biased. However, these views are oversimplified and do not accurately represent the complexity of both fields.

How can science improve marketing strategies?

Science can improve marketing strategies in several ways. First, it can provide a deeper understanding of consumer behavior, allowing marketers to create more targeted and effective campaigns. Second, it can help measure the impact of marketing efforts through data analysis and experimentation. Finally, science can help identify trends and predict future consumer needs, allowing marketers to stay ahead of the curve.

What are the potential drawbacks of using science in marketing?

While science can bring many benefits to marketing, there are also potential drawbacks to consider. One potential issue is the ethical implications of using data and research to manipulate consumer behavior. There is also a risk of relying too heavily on data and neglecting the creative and human elements of marketing. Additionally, scientific research can be expensive and time-consuming, making it inaccessible for smaller businesses.

How can marketers and scientists work together to create more effective strategies?

The collaboration between marketers and scientists can lead to more effective strategies by combining the strengths of both fields. Marketers can provide insights into consumer behavior and market trends, while scientists can use data and research to validate and improve these insights. By working together, they can create more targeted and impactful campaigns that appeal to both the rational and emotional aspects of consumer decision-making.