Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Marking homework threads as

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Marking homework threads as [SOLVED]

The option to mark homework threads as solved has arrived. Thread starters, staff and homework helpers have the options under "thread tools". It will prefix the thread with "[SOLVED]" and close the thread.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2007 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is an awesome feature!

Could we use something like that for reported posts in the Mentor's Forum?

4. Sep 12, 2007 #3
    It works in reported posts forum too :)

5. Sep 12, 2007 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is a cool feature and a great idea!

6. Sep 12, 2007 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Excellent!

7. Sep 12, 2007 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is closing the thread a good idea though? What if someone else wants to ask further questions later on?

Edit: I thought I might add that I'm really liking this new "show first post" feature. Nifty! :cool:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  8. Sep 12, 2007 #7

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... if they had a doubt regarding the same topic... or if they hadn't actually solved the problem as they had first thought.

9. Sep 12, 2007 #8

learningphysics

Homework Helper

I'm not seeing this option under Thread Tools.

10. Sep 12, 2007 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I see it in Thread Tools in the Prime Skin but not in Nexus.

11. Sep 13, 2007 #10

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Well, if that really is someone else, then I think he should open another thread. It would be much much better than to post his/her problem in someone else thread.

Btw, in case the OP returns to find out something's missing, or unclear, it would be nicer if there's an option to remove [SOLVE] tag. ^.^

And I'd love it to be embedded into Nexus skin, also. :!!) :!!) :!!) :!!)

Thanks for the improvement, Greg. :)

12. Sep 13, 2007 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Greg, this is exciting...but so far, at least 3 homework helpers do not see this option under thread tools, and I don't know anyone that does. I tried Prime and Nexus.

And I too am liking the OP previewer option.

13. Sep 13, 2007 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I don't see it under thread tools either. I see three options under thread tools, just like the other forums.

Show Printable Version
    Email this Page
    Subscribe to this Thread

I tried logging out and in again, and that didn't change it.

Can Moderators see the [Solved] option? If so, then it's a permissions issue.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  14. Sep 13, 2007 #13

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

15. Sep 13, 2007 #14
    ok I'll look into the usergroup problem, hold tight

16. Sep 13, 2007 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While Greg looks into that issue, I can answer that yes, if someone changes their mind later, in a thread labeled as solved, the menu option changes to "mark thread as unsolved." So, for example, if a HW helper thinks a problem is fully solved and done, and the student asking the question still isn't quite satisfied, they can reopen it.

17. Sep 13, 2007 #16

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since the author of the thread has access to this option I imagine a sticky in the homework help forums explaining this might ease the amount of question about 'why's my thread been locked?', to those who don't use other areas of the site.

18. Sep 13, 2007 #17

Astronuc

Since the action then locks the thread, I suspect it is a user/usergroup permissions matter, since Admin and Mods can lock threads, but other users cannot.

19. Sep 13, 2007 #18

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To me it seems not quite in sync with the site's spirit. Sometimes someone can give a hint towards another solution method, or provide a comment or insight no one else posted. IMHO, it's an unnecessary obstacle to have threads locked.

20. Sep 13, 2007 #19

Doc Al

Why lock?

I may get used to it, but at the moment I don't see the point of locking the thread. Sometimes someone thinks they have the answer, but it turns out that they were wrong. Or as morphism suggests, an additional insight, comment, or approach might prove quite helpful.

The main purpose of the "mark as solved" feature is just to make it easier for homework helpers to direct their efforts to questions that still need attention, not to close off further discussion.

Of course, once the OP marks the question as "Solved", they might never think to look at those additional comments. But the OP is not the only one reading the thread.

21. Sep 13, 2007 #20

Astronuc

I like the [Solved] indicator, but I would agree that it is not necessary to lock it because there might be some further commentary, some related question to be answered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?