Markov Chain Expected Value

In summary: Are you telling me that your course notes and/or textbook does not have such material? I am surprised, since it is so very fundamental to the subject. However, you can Google "expected first-passage time" or "expected first-passage time + markov chain".
PhyzX

Homework Statement

Markov process has probabilities [itex]p_{j,j+1} = 1-p_{j,0} = (\frac{j+1}{j+2})^k[/itex] for j=0,1,2,...
If [itex]T_j = min[n>1 : X_n=j][/itex]
What is [itex]E[T(j)|X_0=j][/itex] for j=0,1,2,...?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that [itex]T(j)|X_0=j[/itex] is j+1 but don't know how to work out the expectation of this

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PhyzX said:

Homework Statement

Markov process has probabilities [itex]p_{j,j+1} = 1-p_{j,0} = (\frac{j+1}{j+2})^k[/itex] for j=0,1,2,...
If [itex]T_j = min[n>1 : X_n=j][/itex]
What is [itex]E[T(j)|X_0=j][/itex] for j=0,1,2,...?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that [itex]T(j)|X_0=j[/itex] is j+1 but don't know how to work out the expectation of this?

Your statement makes no sense: ##j+1## is an integer number, while ##T(j)|X_0 = j## is a random variable. What do you really mean, here?

Also: get rid of that pesky "?", because the way you have written it, you are asking us whether or not you know how to do something.

Ray Vickson said:
Your statement makes no sense: ##j+1## is an integer number, while ##T(j)|X_0 = j## is a random variable. What do you really mean, here?

Also: get rid of that pesky "?", because the way you have written it, you are asking us whether or not you know how to do something.
I think I don't quite understand the question. My interpretation of ##T(j)|X_0 = j## is that it is equal to the minimum number of steps needed to return to state ##j##. Looking at the transition probabilities I figured that the chain should immediately return to state 0 and then climb back up to state ##j## hence taking ##j+1## steps. My thinking might be entirely wrong though.

PhyzX said:
I think I don't quite understand the question. My interpretation of ##T(j)|X_0 = j## is that it is equal to the minimum number of steps needed to return to state ##j##. Looking at the transition probabilities I figured that the chain should immediately return to state 0 and then climb back up to state ##j## hence taking ##j+1## steps. My thinking might be entirely wrong though.

It is entirely wrong.

If ##X_0 = j##, where can the chain go next? It can go to state 0 or state j+1. If it had gone to 0 it can flip numerous times back and forth between state 0 and states 1,2, ..., j-1, then go to j in the next step after that. If it had gone to state j+1, it can next go to j+2 or to 0; once at 0 the behavior just described takes over. If at j+2 it next goes either to j+3 or down to 0, etc. etc.

Getting the exact probability distribution of the first return-time to j is not easy, but there are (in your textbook, or notes, or on-line) some equations which, when solved, spit out the expected return time as part of their solution. I have not looked at the details in this case, so I don't know how easy it would be to solve the equations.

However, there is a more serious issue: can we be sure that the chain does, indeed, return to state j with probability 1? If so, can we be sure the expected return time is finite? The point is that ##p_{j,j+1} \to 1 ## as ##j \to \infty##, so the farther out we are, the less chance there is of going back. There are test criteria available that allow you to deal with some such cases, but how easy they are to apply in this case is something I have not investigated.

Thank you, I understand what the question is asking now. Would you happen to know what these equations might be called so that I can search them up.

PhyzX said:
Thank you, I understand what the question is asking now. Would you happen to know what these equations might be called so that I can search them up.

Are you telling me that your course notes and/or textbook does not have such material? I am surprised, since it is so very fundamental to the subject. However, you can Google "expected first-passage time" or "expected first-passage time + markov chain".

1. What is Markov Chain Expected Value?

Markov Chain Expected Value is a mathematical concept that measures the average or expected value of a sequence of events that are dependent on each other, known as a Markov Chain. It is used to predict the long-term behavior of a system based on its current state and the probabilities of transitioning to other states.

2. How is Markov Chain Expected Value calculated?

The Markov Chain Expected Value is calculated by multiplying the current state of the system by the transition probabilities to other states and summing them up. This process is repeated for each state, and the final result is the expected value of the system.

3. What is the significance of Markov Chain Expected Value in scientific research?

Markov Chain Expected Value is often used in scientific research to model and analyze complex systems that involve a series of events with uncertain outcomes. It allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of these systems and understand how they are influenced by different factors.

4. Can Markov Chain Expected Value be used in real-world applications?

Yes, Markov Chain Expected Value has many real-world applications, such as predicting stock market trends, weather forecasting, and analyzing biological processes. It is also commonly used in engineering, economics, and social sciences to model and analyze various systems.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions associated with Markov Chain Expected Value?

Yes, there are some limitations and assumptions associated with Markov Chain Expected Value. It assumes that the system is in a steady state and that the transition probabilities remain constant over time. It also assumes that the system is memoryless, meaning that the current state is only dependent on the previous state and not the entire history of the system.