Is there an analytical explanation for Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2?

In summary, the author obtained an analytical derivation of length contraction and time dilation occurring at high speeds. However, there is no derivation of Einstein's famous equation E=m(c squared).
Urmi Roy
I obtained an analytical description of time dilation and length contraction which describes why these occur at high speeds. However there was no such analysis of Einstein's famous equation E=m(c squared).
Instead, a derivation that I found in http://www.karlscalculus.org/einstein.html starts off with

m =

m0
√1 - v2/c2

Then they derive the formula using calculus.

Is an analytical treatment for E=m(c squared) possible? Is there any thought experiment which helps us to realize the applicability of the mass-energy equivalence?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Um... the web page you linked to does give an analytical derivation of [itex]E=mc^2[/itex] (although technically the equation is [itex]E^2 = m^2c^4 + p^2c^2[/itex]). I'm not sure what else you're looking for...

I think the mass energy equivalence stems from the conservation of momentum and the fact that photons have momentum.

I think DaleSpam provided me with what I wanted to know,though it would be better if it was elaborated a bit,(meaning how we can derive the formula from the very basic theory of conservation of momentum (applied to photons)).

OK, it has been a while so I am a little sketchy on the details, but it is something like this:

Suppose an object at rest of mass M emits a pair of photons each of energy E/2 and one to the left and the other to the right. Those photons carry equal and opposite momentum so the object remains at rest. Now, consider the same situation in a frame moving to the right, the right photon is blueshifted and the left photon is redshifted, so the photons carry some net momentum to the right, and we know the object's velocity, so by conservation of momentum the object's mass must have changed. When you work out the amount of the change you find that it changed by an amount m=E/c².

I am sure that is missing some important details, but it is something to that effect.

Okay,so I guess that through this very revolutionary experiment,which is based upon the doppler effect of electromagnetic waves and the law of conservation of momentum gave Einstein the whole idea.
At the same time there seems to be no derivation as such for the formula which originates from the law of conservation of momentum --it was something that Einstein found to fit in perfectly with the other rules of nature,that's why we can arrive at it fom other sources like the one I found on that webpage I mentioned earlier,right?

I obtained an analytical description of time dilation and length contraction which describes why these occur at high speeds.

If true, this would be BIG news!. BIG<BIG news and pulitizer, emmy and Nobel worthy.

Not to nitpick, but nobody knows why these occur, why space and time are dynamic; nobody even knows what space and time are. But we do have the Lorentz relationships.

Interesting derivation at the Virgina website, Thanks!

What is mass energy equivalence?

Mass energy equivalence, also known as the famous equation E=mc^2, is a concept in physics that explains the relationship between mass and energy. It states that mass and energy are interchangeable and can be converted into one another.

Who discovered mass energy equivalence?

Mass energy equivalence was discovered by Albert Einstein in 1905 in his theory of special relativity. This equation revolutionized the field of physics and has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations.

How does mass energy equivalence work?

In simple terms, mass energy equivalence states that the energy of an object is equal to its mass multiplied by the speed of light squared. This means that even a small amount of mass can contain a huge amount of energy, as demonstrated by nuclear reactions.

What are some real-world applications of mass energy equivalence?

Mass energy equivalence has many practical applications, especially in the field of nuclear energy. The equation has been used to develop nuclear reactors and power plants, as well as in medical treatments such as radiation therapy.

Is mass energy equivalence a proven concept?

Yes, mass energy equivalence has been proven through various experiments and observations. It is a fundamental principle in physics and is widely accepted by the scientific community. Its accuracy has been confirmed by numerous experiments, including the famous E=mc^2 experiment by Otto Hahn and Fritz Strassmann in 1939.