1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass flow rate of cooling water in condenser needed

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Adiabatic Steam turbine produces 4000 kW
    Steam is fed at 21 bar/475 deg C
    Exhaust is saturated steam (P=0.1bar)
    Exhaust is fed into condenser where it is cooled to 30 deg C

Problem asks for flow rate of cooling water supplied to condensener if water enters at 15 deg C and is heated to 25 deg C

2. Relevant equations
    Assume Q = 0
    H2 - H1 = -W
    m dot steam * (H2 - H1) = - Power (or W dot)
    Power (in) = Power(out)
    m dot steam in (H steam in) + m dot water in (H water in) = m dot steam out (H steam out) + m dot water out (H water out)
    m2U2 - m1U1 - H'(m2 - m1) = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

i fond the mass flow rate of steam going into turbine using m dot * delta H = -Power
    - 4000 kW (1 kJ/s / 1 kW) = m dot steam (2584.8 kj/kg - 3411.3 kJ/kg)
    mass flow of steam = 4.84 kg/s

then when i try to use the last equation in the above section I get stuck because I can't
    figure out U2 or the outlet states. H' = 2779.7 kj/kg, U1 = 2438.0 kJ/kg, m1 = 25000 kg, m2 =?

please help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2008 #2
    In order to solve this problem you have to assume a pressure for the cooling water in the condenser. I recommend 1 atm.

I don't really understand where you are having a problem. You found the states of the steam entering the condenser and you know the states of the cooling water coming in and out of the condenser. It is a simple energy balance;

dQsteam/dt = dQwater/dt

dms/dt * (hi - ho)s = dmw/dt * (ho - hi)w
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?