Mass in circular motion. Draw Diagram and find/explain variables.

In summary: It is okay to show these components on a separate diagram when calculating the forces.... just don't confuse them with separate forces acting on the object!)There is no need to show the radius as a separate force. (It is a physical quantity which does not act on the object. It does not have a direction in the same way as forces do.)Finally... and you know this !... the resultant of these 2 forces acts along the radius of the circle towards the centre.
demenius

Homework Statement

A ball of mass m is held by a string of length L and swung in a horizontal circle. The string makes an angle θ with the vertical (as shown).
a. Draw a diagram clearly labeling all forces on the mass.
b. Find T, the amount of time that it takes for the ball to complete one circle in terms of m,L, g, and θ.
c. When θ increases, what happens to T? Justify your answer.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/97/circularmotion.png/"

Homework Equations

None Given.

The Attempt at a Solution

I had many attempts but none seemed to work out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
demenius said:

Homework Statement

A ball of mass m is held by a string of length L and swung in a horizontal circle. The string makes an angle θ with the vertical (as shown).
a. Draw a diagram clearly labeling all forces on the mass.
b. Find T, the amount of time that it takes for the ball to complete one circle in terms of m,L, g, and θ.
c. When θ increases, what happens to T? Justify your answer.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/97/circularmotion.png/"

Homework Equations

None Given.

The Attempt at a Solution

I had many attempts but none seemed to work out.

Perhaps you could put anyone of those attempts here.

demenius said:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/412/freebodydiagram.png/"

I found T to be equal to 2∏√(Lcos(θ)/g). But there is no m in that equation. Is it not needed?

If that equation is right, then when θ increases, T would decrease.

You have drawn 4 forces - but two of them are actually one of the forces resolved to allow later calculation, so should not be there. there are only two forces acting, gravity, down, and Tension at an angle.

For me to comment on the accuracy of you expression for T, I would need to see the steps you used to derive it.
Certainly you interpretation that if θ increases, T would decrease is valid for the expression you gave.

Ok. So
Fx = Fsinθ = ma_rad
Fy = Fcosθ - mg = 0 (no vertical acceleration)
a_rad = (4R∏^2)/T^2
R = Lsinθ

F = mg/cosθ Sub into Fx
(mg/cosθ)*sinθ = ma_rad
a_rad = gtanθ

gtanθ = (4R∏^2)/T^2

T = √((4R∏^2)/gtanθ) = 2∏√(R/(gtanθ)) Sub in Lsinθ for R
T = 2∏√(Lcosθ/g)

demenius said:
Ok. So
Fx = Fsinθ = ma_rad
Fy = Fcosθ - mg = 0 (no vertical acceleration)
a_rad = (4R∏^2)/T^2
R = Lsinθ

F = mg/cosθ Sub into Fx
(mg/cosθ)*sinθ = ma_rad
a_rad = gtanθ

gtanθ = (4R∏^2)/T^2

T = √((4R∏^2)/gtanθ) = 2∏√(R/(gtanθ)) Sub in Lsinθ for R
T = 2∏√(Lcosθ/g)

That looks good, so you should be correct.

Certainly I know that the period decreases as the angle increases, so it is good that your formula predicts that.

Last edited:
I agree strongly with PeterO.
There are only 2 forces acting on the object (if friction, air resistance can be ignored!)
1) the tension T in the string
2) The weight (mg) acting vertically down
The tension has a vertical component which equals the weight of the object and a horizontal component which equals the centripetal force.
It is not wise to show these component forces on a diagram... they confuse the picture and give the appearance that there are too many forces acting.

1. What is mass in circular motion?

Mass in circular motion refers to the measurement of an object's resistance to acceleration as it moves in a circular path. It is a fundamental property of an object and is often represented by the variable "m".

2. How is mass related to circular motion?

The mass of an object plays a crucial role in determining its motion in a circular path. According to Newton's second law of motion, an object's acceleration is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In circular motion, the centripetal force required to keep the object moving in a circle is directly proportional to its mass. This means that a larger mass requires a larger force to maintain its circular motion.

3. What is the formula for calculating mass in circular motion?

The formula for calculating mass in circular motion is m = Fc / a, where m is the mass of the object, Fc is the centripetal force, and a is the acceleration of the object in circular motion.

4. How do you draw a diagram for mass in circular motion?

To draw a diagram for mass in circular motion, you can use a free-body diagram. This diagram shows all the forces acting on the object, including the centripetal force, weight, and any other external forces. The object's mass should be represented by a dot in the center of the diagram, and the forces should be drawn as arrows pointing towards the center of the circle.

5. What are the variables in the formula for mass in circular motion?

The variables in the formula for mass in circular motion are m (mass), Fc (centripetal force), and a (acceleration). These variables are related by the formula m = Fc / a, and they represent different aspects of the object's motion in a circular path.