Mass of a black hole - given only the diameter

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 14K views
PirateFan308
Messages
91
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Cosmologists have speculated that black holes the size of a proton could have formed during the early days of the Big Bang when the universe began. If we take the diameter of a proton to be [itex]1.0*10^{-15}[/itex], what would be the mass of a mini black hole?

Homework Equations



[itex]v=\sqrt{\frac{Gm}{r}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



[itex]v=\sqrt{\frac{Gm}{r}}[/itex]

[itex]m=\frac{v^{2}r}{G}[/itex]

[itex]m=\frac{(3.0*10^{8})^{2}(0.5*10^{-15})}{(6.67*10^{-11})}[/itex]

[itex]m=6.75*10^{11} kg[/itex]

It says that this is wrong, but I can't find my mistake. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The Schwarzschild radius is given by:
[tex]r_s = \frac{2 G M}{c^2}[/tex]
I think you forgot the factor of 2.

EDIT: D'Oh. No square root! Fixed it.
 
Last edited:
gneill said:
The Schwarzschild radius is given by:
[tex]r_s = \sqrt{\frac{2 G M}{c^2}}[/tex]
I think you forgot the factor of 2.

Isn't the schwarzchild radius simply:

[itex]R_s=\frac{2GM}{c^2}[/itex]

So this would rearrange to

[itex]m=\frac{rc^2}{2G}[/itex]

and plugging in the values, I would get [itex]m=3.37*10^{11}kg[/itex]

Is this now correct?
 
PirateFan308 said:
Isn't the schwarzchild radius simply:

[itex]R_s=\frac{2GM}{c^2}[/itex]

So this would rearrange to

[itex]m=\frac{rc^2}{2G}[/itex]

and plugging in the values, I would get [itex]m=3.37*10^{11}kg[/itex]

Is this now correct?

Yes, and yes. Sorry about the square root distraction, I don't know where my head was at!