Mass of a sphere of varying density

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the total mass of a sphere with a given density function and radius. The solution involves using an integral and the given constants to calculate the mass, but the answers obtained do not match the solution in the school's online homework system. The person suggests talking to the professor for clarification.
Just a nobody

Homework Statement

Given that the density of a sphere with respect to radius is [tex]\rho(r) = \rho_0 \left( 1 - \frac{\alpha r}{R_0} \right)[/tex] (where [tex]\rho_0[/tex], [tex]\alpha[/tex], and [tex]R_0[/tex] are constants), find the total mass of the sphere. The radius of the sphere is equal to [tex]R_0[/tex].

[tex]\rho_0 = 5320 \, \frac{\mathrm{kg}}{\mathrm{m}^3}[/tex]
[tex]\alpha = 0.13[/tex]
[tex]R_0 = 89.13 \cdot 10^6 \, \mathrm{m}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\rho(r) = \rho_0 \left( 1 - \frac{\alpha r}{R_0} \right)[/tex]
[tex]Mass = \int_V dm = \int_V \! \rho(r) \, dV[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted the mass integral and found it to be:
[tex]Mass = \int_0^{2 \pi} \! \int_0^\pi \! \int_0^{R_0} \rho(r) r^2 \sin \phi \, dr \, d\phi \, d\theta = 4 \pi \rho_0 R_0^3 \left( \frac{1}{3} - \frac{\alpha}{4} \right) = 1.42 \cdot 10^{28} \, \mathrm{kg}[/tex]

I also tried a different form of the integral and came to the same solution:
[tex]Mass = \int_0^{R_0} \! \rho(r) (4 \pi r^2) \, dr = 4 \pi \rho_0 R_0^3 \left( \frac{1}{3} - \frac{\alpha}{4} \right) = 1.42 \cdot 10^{28} \, \mathrm{kg}[/tex]

I verified my integrals with a CAS to be sure they're correct. However, my solution still doesn't match the solution in my school's online homework system. This leads me to believe my logic is incorrect. Can someone lead me in the right direction on this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've checked it all, but I get the same answers as you. I'd be suspicious of your school's online homework system.

fantispug said:
I've checked it all, but I get the same answers as you. I'd be suspicious of your school's online homework system.

Thanks for checking my work. I'll probably talk to the professor on Monday.

What is the formula for calculating the mass of a sphere of varying density?

The formula for calculating the mass of a sphere of varying density is M = (4/3)πr³ρ, where M is the mass, r is the radius of the sphere, and ρ is the density.

How do you determine the density of a sphere?

To determine the density of a sphere, you need to know its mass and volume. The density can be calculated by dividing the mass by the volume. This can also be expressed as ρ = M/V.

Can the mass of a sphere change if its density changes?

Yes, the mass of a sphere can change if its density changes. This is because mass is directly proportional to density. As the density increases, so does the mass, and vice versa.

How does the mass of a sphere with a uniform density compare to that of a sphere with varying density?

The mass of a sphere with a uniform density is constant throughout, while the mass of a sphere with varying density changes based on the density at different points. The average density of the varying density sphere must be calculated to determine its overall mass.

What factors can affect the density of a sphere?

The density of a sphere can be affected by several factors, such as the material it is made of, temperature, pressure, and any internal structure or voids within the sphere.