1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass of a sphere with a vertical bound

1. Mar 17, 2010 #1
    Find the total mass that occupies a solid region D bounded by a sphere of radius 3
    centered at the origin and z = 1 if the density of the function is (x, y, z) = 1/1+x^2+y^2+z^2 .

I would like to be able to do this problem using spherical coordinates but I am unsure about how this z=1 will affect my bounds of integration for both phi and rho.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Harlow! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a phi: φ and a rho: ρ :wink:)

Personally, I'd use Cartesian coordinates or cylindrical coordinates, but if you must use spherical coordinate, draw a radius at angle θ to the z-axis, and see where the limits of r are along that radius. :smile:

4. Mar 17, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the reply. To be honest I hadn't even really considered using Cartesian coordinates. We have been covering spherical and cylindrical coordinates so I figured that the problem was probably designed for one of those two coordinate systems. Cartesian looks easier for this problem. Heres what I have for the bounds x: -sqrt(9-y^2-z^2) to sqrt(9-y^2-z^2), y: -sqrt(9-z^2) to sqrt(9-z^2) and z:-3 to 1.

My only issue is with the integral, I have the first integral set up as follows: 1/(1+x^2+y^2+z^2)dx evaluated from -sqrt(9-y^2-z^2) and sqrt(9-y^2-z^2). does this look correct? How can I do this integral?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook