Mass of object (wave nature of matter)

In summary, we can find the mass of an object given its wavelength and speed by using the equation m=h/λv. Using this equation, we can determine that the mass of the object in question is approximately 6.58 x 10^-26 kg, after adjusting for significant figures.
quicksilver123

Homework Statement

An object has a wavelength of 8.4*10^-14 m
and a speed of 1.2*10^6 m/s.
Find the mass.

Homework Equations

p=h/λ

The Attempt at a Solution

p=h/λ
mv=h/λ
m=h/λv

m=(6.63*10^-34)/((1.2*10^5)(8.4*10^-14))
m=6.577380952*10^-26 kg

Is this correct? (other than significant digits)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the arithmetic works out correctly but your m=(6.63*10^-34) / ( (1.2*10^5) * (8.4*10^-14) ) equation
needs some parens in the denominator.

You must adjust m for significant figures to be m=6.58 E -26 kg

Also your logic looks right too, but being out of physics for a long time I'd wait for someone to second my opinion.

Last edited:
fixed. as i mentioned in the op i haven't yet adjusted for sig dig

quicksilver123 said:
fixed. as i mentioned in the op i haven't yet adjusted for sig dig

okay didnt see it. tunnel vision sometimes.

thats cool thanks for checking anyway

1. What is the mass of an object?

The mass of an object is a measure of the amount of matter it contains. It is typically measured in units of kilograms (kg) or grams (g).

2. How is the mass of an object determined?

The mass of an object can be determined by using a scale or balance to measure its weight, and then converting that weight into mass using the formula mass = weight/acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the relationship between mass and the wave nature of matter?

According to quantum mechanics, all matter has both particle-like and wave-like properties. The mass of an object affects its wave-like behavior, such as its wavelength and frequency, which can be observed in experiments like the double-slit experiment.

4. Can an object have different masses when measured with different instruments?

No, the mass of an object is an intrinsic property and should not change depending on the measuring instrument. However, the precision and accuracy of the measurement may vary depending on the sensitivity and calibration of the instrument.

5. How does the mass of an object affect its gravitational pull?

According to Newton's law of gravitation, the mass of an object directly affects its gravitational pull. The greater the mass, the stronger the gravitational force it exerts on other objects. This is why larger objects, like planets, have a stronger gravitational pull than smaller objects, like rocks.