What is the truth about photons and their mass?

In summary: This change in energy can be interpreted as a change in "mass" or weight of the box.In summary, the debate over whether or not photons have mass revolves around the definition of mass used in the discussion. Some argue that the concept of "relativistic mass" is pointless and that photons have no rest mass, while others believe that the energy of photons can be considered a form of mass. However, the formula E=mc² for photons is not a derived result, but rather the definition of mass itself. Ultimately, the concept of "mass" for photons may be more of a matter of interpretation and perspective rather than a clear-cut answer.
ImAnEngineer said:
If one objects to use the concept of relativistic mass, then what would be said about the mass of a photon? Simply that the mass is zero (i.e. the rest mass)?
Yes.

And if photons have energy which they do, and E=mc², then what could be said about m? It is certainly not the rest mass. Or would this equation not be used at all?
They already answered you. You can use equations if you know their meaning; in E = mc² what is E? Is the total energy? Is the rest energy only?
The answer is the second.
The correct equation for total energy, as already written by others is:

E² = (mc²)² + (cp)²

The other, simpler equation is just a specific case of this (that is, the case in which p = 0).

Physics news on Phys.org
lightarrow said:
Yes.
The correct equation for total energy, as already written by others is:
E² = (mc²)² + (cp)²
The other, simpler equation is just a specific case of this (that is, the case in which p = 0).
But photons do have momentum, so then it doesn't make sense to write E=mc² for photons at all?

Instead you could write, however:
[tex]m=\sqrt{\frac{E^2}{c^4}-\frac{p^2}{c^2}}[/tex]

Then how would one that objects to use the concept of relativistic mass call this m?

ImAnEngineer said:
But photons do have momentum, so then it doesn't make sense to write E=mc² for photons at all?

Then how would one that objects to use the concept of relativistic mass call this m?

This is called the invariant mass, or just mass.

Count Iblis said:
This is called the invariant mass, or just mass.
I really lost you guys. I understood that people who object to the use of relativistic mass use the rest mass instead (same thing as invariant mass?).

But when m is calculated with the last equation I gave, it doesn't give zero which is the rest/invariant mass of a photon...

My guess is that people who object to relativistic mass just wouldn't use it (and express it in terms of energy instead) and have no other name for (relativistic) mass, is that correct?

Last edited:
ImAnEngineer said:
I really lost you guys. I understood that people who object to the use of relativistic mass use the rest mass instead (same thing as invariant mass?).

But when m is calculated with the last equation I gave, it doesn't give zero which is the rest/invariant mass of a photon...

My guess is that people who object to relativistic mass just wouldn't use it (and express it in terms of energy instead) and have no other name for (relativistic) mass, is that correct?

The energy of a photon is E = p c. So, you see that m = 0 for a photon. :smile:

ImAnEngineer said:
If one objects to use the concept of relativistic mass, then what would be said about the mass of a photon? Simply that the mass is zero (i.e. the rest mass)?

One says that the mass of a photon is zero, because the mass of a body is its energy at rest, and photons are never at rest.

ImAnEngineer said:

No, it does not make sense to write that, because [itex]E=mc^2[/itex] is only generally true for bodies at rest. The correct general equation is [itex]E^2=mc^2+(pc)^2[/itex], from which you obtain the next expression:

ImAnEngineer said:

The [itex]m[/itex] found this way is the invariant rest mass. For a photon, it is in fact zero.

atyy said:
http://books.google.com/books?id=ipY8onVQWhcC&printsec=frontcover#PPA83,M1

So... "If it's good enough for Feynman, then it should be good enough for anyone?" You appear to be arguing from authority.

i think most people who object to "relativistic mass" tend to view systems in terms of total energy rather than invoking mass terminology at all. mathematically, it is much cleaner.

ZikZak said:

The [itex]m[/itex] found this way is the invariant rest mass. For a photon, it is in fact zero.
Ah, I see. If E² is substituted by (pc)² the result is zero, so it is consistent to call it just (non-relativistic) mass . I think everything is clear to me right now. :smile:

Thanks to everyone!

Recent experiments showed that photons are not wave and not particles. They are something different. From these results, photons could be a fragment of spac-time detached from the continuum. In that way their mass does not exist because space-time continuum has no mass. But it is clear that this subject often called "The nature of light" remains one of the greatest question of physics.

delplace said:
Recent experiments showed that photons are not wave and not particles.

Reference, please? Of course light has both wave and particle properties, but this has been known for more than a century.

delplace said:
From these results, photons could be a fragment of spac-time [sic] detached from the continuum.

Reference, please?

delplace said:
In that way their mass does not exist because space-time continuum has no mass.

Even if the premise were true, and the conclusion is true, I don't think this argument is valid.

I have no desire to continue this discussion via PM. I posted my question here, and would like the answers here. (Note however, that PF rules do impose some limitations on the kinds of references that can be posted)

Why would you discuss it via PM? I was waiting for the answers here in this thread.

Vanadium 50 said:
I have no desire to continue this discussion via PM. I posted my question here, and would like the answers here. (Note however, that PF rules do impose some limitations on the kinds of references that can be posted)

ok, I give you the reference in a well known journal reviewed by peers :

S. Gleyzes et al., Nature, 446, 297, 15 march 2007

Concerning the second point, the paper is in a review process, so I will wait a little bit

Best regards

FD

ImAnEngineer said:
Why would you discuss it via PM? I was waiting for the answers here in this thread.

sorry but I was not aware that people don't like PM discussions. I give you the reference :

S; Gleyzes et al., Nature, 446,297, 15 march 2007

Best regards

FD

delplace said:
sorry but I was not aware that people don't like PM discussions. I give you the reference :

S; Gleyzes et al., Nature, 446,297, 15 march 2007

Best regards

FD

Thank you

delplace said:
Recent experiments showed that photons are not wave and not particles.

The Gleyzes measurement shows no such thing - unless by "not wave and not particles" you mean "quantum mechanical objects with both wave and particle properties", which, as I mentioned before, is a century old - hardly recent.

Sorry but even if i confess that interpretation of this experiment is not easy, there is a strong debat around this question being more a vocabulary way of explaining things. If I try to be accurate : let me say : they can behave as both particle and wave but photons are not particles and not waves.

delplace said:
Sorry but even if i confess that interpretation of this experiment is not easy, there is a strong debat around this question being more a vocabulary way of explaining things. If I try to be accurate : let me say : they can behave as both particle and wave but photons are not particles and not waves.

Then it's nothing new. It's been known for a long time that photons can behave as waves, as well as particles (and they can't be both at the same time, right?).

What I was more interested in, is that you posed that photons are a part of time-space detached from continuum (?) and therefore have no mass. Could you explain that a bit more?