Solving Part (a) of Lamp Mass in Descending Elevator w/ Deceleration of 1.4 m/s2

In summary, in this conversation, the problem involves a lamp hanging from a cord in a descending elevator with a deceleration of 1.4 m/s2. Part (a) asks for the lamp's mass given the tension in the cord is 56 N. Part (b) asks for the cord's tension when the elevator ascends with an upward acceleration of 1.4 m/s2. To solve for the mass in part (a), the equation T-mg=ma can be rearranged to T = mg + ma = m(g +a), and then the values for T, g, and a can be plugged in to find the mass.
shell4987

Homework Statement

A lamp hangs vertically from a cord in a descending elevator that decelerates at 1.4 m/s2. (a) If the tension in the cord is 56 N, what is the lamp's mass? (b) What is the cord's tension when the elevator ascends with an upward acceleration of 1.4 m/s2?

Homework Equations

T-mg=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part (b) to be 56 N and that was correct but then I used the formula... but I don't know how to solve for mass for part (a) when there are two masses in the equation above, I know T to be 56N and g to be 9.8m/s squared also a to be 1.4m/s squared... Can anyone help me out? I'm confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just rearrange your initial equation:
T-mg=ma

Thus:
T = mg + ma = m(g +a)

You take it from here.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the known quantities and the equations that can be used to solve for the unknown quantity. In this case, the known quantities are the tension in the cord (T = 56 N), the acceleration (a = 1.4 m/s2), and the gravitational acceleration (g = 9.8 m/s2). The unknown quantity is the mass of the lamp (m).

To solve for the mass, we can use the equation T - mg = ma. We know the values of T, a, and g, so we can rearrange the equation to solve for m:

m = (T - ma)/g

Substituting the known values, we get:

m = (56 N - (1.4 m/s2)(m))/9.8 m/s2

Simplifying, we get:

m = (56 N - 1.4 m/s2 * m)/9.8 m/s2

m = (56 N - 1.4 m/s2 * m)/9.8 m/s2

m = (56 N - 1.4 * m)/9.8

Multiplying both sides by 9.8, we get:

9.8m = 56 N - 1.4m

Adding 1.4m to both sides, we get:

11.2m = 56 N

Dividing both sides by 11.2, we get:

m = 56 N / 11.2

m = 5 kg

Therefore, the mass of the lamp is 5 kg.

It is important to note that in this problem, the mass of the cord is negligible compared to the mass of the lamp. If the mass of the cord was significant, it would need to be taken into account in the calculation.

1. What is the purpose of solving part (a) of Lamp Mass in Descending Elevator?

The purpose of solving part (a) of Lamp Mass in Descending Elevator is to determine the mass of the lamp in the elevator when it is descending with a deceleration of 1.4 m/s2. This information can be useful in understanding the forces acting on the lamp and the elevator during the descent.

2. What is the formula used to solve part (a) of Lamp Mass in Descending Elevator?

The formula used to solve part (a) of Lamp Mass in Descending Elevator is F = ma, where F is the net force acting on the lamp, m is the mass of the lamp, and a is the deceleration of the elevator. This formula is derived from Newton's second law of motion.

3. How is the deceleration of the elevator determined in part (a) of Lamp Mass in Descending Elevator?

The deceleration of the elevator can be determined by analyzing the motion of the elevator using kinematic equations. The value of the deceleration can also be given in the problem statement or measured using appropriate instruments.

4. Can the mass of the lamp in the elevator be negative?

No, the mass of an object cannot be negative. It is a physical quantity that represents the amount of matter in an object. It is always a positive value.

5. How does the mass of the lamp affect the deceleration of the elevator in part (a) of Lamp Mass in Descending Elevator?

The mass of the lamp does not directly affect the deceleration of the elevator. However, the mass of the lamp does contribute to the net force acting on the elevator, which in turn affects the deceleration. A heavier lamp would require a greater force to decelerate, resulting in a larger deceleration of the elevator.