Finding M1 in a Mass Sliding Problem with an Angle and Friction

In summary, the problem involves two masses, M1 and M2, connected by a light and frictionless pulley. M2 (3.50 kg) is moving downwards with an acceleration of 2.99 m/s2 at an angle of 20.0° and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.470. By setting the forces in the y and x direction equal to each other, we can solve for M1. However, it is important to use the correct trigonometric functions when breaking down the components of the forces.
Kpgabriel

Homework Statement

M1 and M2 are two masses connected as shown.
https://loncapa2.physics.sc.edu/res/msu/physicslib/msuphysicslib/09_Force_and_Motion/graphics/prob75_fricpullplane.gif
upload_2016-10-6_16-47-34.png

The pulley is light and frictionless. Find the mass M1, given that M2 (3.50 kg) is moving downwards and accelerates downwards at 2.99 m/s2, that θ is 20.0°, and that μk is 0.470.

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have broken down the components of the forces especially for M1 because the Mg force has the components sin and cos. I found the force in the y direction of M1 to be Fn=M1gSin(theta). Then I found the x direction to be T(tension)-u(friction)Fn-M1gCos(theta)=M1a. Which would make T= M1(ugSin(theta) + gCos(theta) +a). And for block 2 I have T = M2(g-a). Then I set the T's equal to each other and solve for M1 but it seems to be wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your image isn't showing. No doubt an offsite link to some place that not publicly accessible. Try uploading it instead (use the UPLOAD button at the bottom right of the edit window).

Ok I think I got it

Attachments

• phys_problem1.gif
    phys_problem1.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 438
Are you sure you haven't got ##\cos## and ##\sin## mixed up?

PeroK said:
Are you sure you haven't got ##\cos## and ##\sin## mixed up?
I did... Thank you so much!

What is mass sliding at an angle?

Mass sliding at an angle refers to the motion of an object with mass as it moves down a slope or ramp at an angle. This is an example of projectile motion, where the object moves both horizontally and vertically.

What factors affect mass sliding at an angle?

The factors that affect mass sliding at an angle include the angle of the slope, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity. The friction between the object and the surface of the slope also plays a role in the speed and distance of the object's motion.

How does the angle of the slope affect mass sliding?

The angle of the slope affects mass sliding because it determines the component of the force of gravity that acts to pull the object down the slope. The steeper the angle, the greater the force of gravity pulling the object down, resulting in faster and farther sliding.

What is the formula for calculating the speed of mass sliding at an angle?

The formula for calculating the speed of mass sliding at an angle is v = √(2gh sinθ), where v is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the slope, and θ is the angle of the slope.

What are some real-life applications of mass sliding at an angle?

Mass sliding at an angle has many real-life applications, such as in skiing, sledding, and skateboarding. It is also used in engineering and construction, such as in designing ramps and roller coasters. Understanding mass sliding at an angle is important for predicting and controlling the motion of objects on inclined surfaces.