Mass Spectrum * Fragmentation:

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in determining the m/z value for fragmentation in mass spectrometry. The individual is confused about how to calculate these values for compounds that are not given in the textbook. They receive help in understanding that the molar mass per charge is what is needed to calculate the m/z value. The conversation concludes with the individual realizing their mistake and thanking for the clarification.
Deoxygenation
[SOLVED] Mass Spectrum * Fragmentation:

1. The problem, I've been having is how to tell a certain m/z (mass per a charge) value for fragmentation. Like the examples they give in the book have the values, but then we are expected to know the values of diffrent compounds, that aren't even in the book, thus I think there must be a method in finding that m/z value without any experimental test.

Example they give in the book is like 2,2-dimethylpropane and 2-methylbutane, which I know, one fragmentation will form a tertiary, which value they give is m/z = 57 and then the second one will form a primary and a secondary fragmentation m/z = 71, but I'm confused how they get the m/z values.

Thanks for any help given, its just confuses me, they don't even tell how they got that value, just give it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please elaborate. For a given fragment you just calculate its molar mass and divide it by the fragment charge. Fragment charge is always a low integer - like 1 or 2. But I don't think that's what you are asking.

You know I just figured it out while looking at it, heheh. The word molar mass got to me figure that out and go ohhh, they want the molar mass per a charge, hehe, ok I got it now :+)

Sorry about the confusing question, but I got it now, thanks :+)

1. What is a mass spectrum?

A mass spectrum is a graph that shows the relative abundance of ions at different mass-to-charge ratios. It is obtained by ionizing a sample and separating the ions based on their mass-to-charge ratio using a mass spectrometer.

2. What is fragmentation in mass spectrometry?

Fragmentation in mass spectrometry is the process of breaking down the ions in a sample into smaller fragments. This is done by bombarding the sample with high-energy electrons or by using collision-induced dissociation. The resulting fragments are then analyzed to determine the chemical structure of the original sample.

3. How does fragmentation occur in a mass spectrum?

Fragmentation occurs in a mass spectrum when the ions in the sample are subjected to high-energy collisions with other particles, causing them to break into smaller fragments. The resulting fragments are then detected and their mass-to-charge ratios are recorded, allowing for the determination of the original sample's chemical structure.

4. What information can be obtained from the fragmentation pattern in a mass spectrum?

The fragmentation pattern in a mass spectrum can provide information about the chemical structure of the original sample. By analyzing the masses and relative abundances of the fragments, scientists can identify the type and arrangement of atoms in the sample and use this information to determine the molecular formula of the compound.

5. How is mass spectrometry used in different fields of science?

Mass spectrometry is used in a variety of fields, including chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacology, and environmental science. It is commonly used for the identification and analysis of chemical compounds, as well as the detection of trace amounts of substances in complex samples. Its high sensitivity and ability to provide structural information make it a valuable tool in many areas of scientific research and analysis.