1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass Spectrum * Fragmentation:

1. May 10, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Mass Spectrum * Fragmentation:

1. The problem, I've been having is how to tell a certain m/z (mass per a charge) value for fragmentation. Like the examples they give in the book have the values, but then we are expected to know the values of diffrent compounds, that aren't even in the book, thus I think there must be a method in finding that m/z value without any experimental test.

Example they give in the book is like 2,2-dimethylpropane and 2-methylbutane, which I know, one fragmentation will form a tertiary, which value they give is m/z = 57 and then the second one will form a primary and a secondary fragmentation m/z = 71, but I'm confused how they get the m/z values.

Thanks for any help given, its just confuses me, they don't even tell how they got that value, just give it.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Please elaborate. For a given fragment you just calculate its molar mass and divide it by the fragment charge. Fragment charge is always a low integer - like 1 or 2. But I don't think that's what you are asking.
  4. May 10, 2008 #3
    You know I just figured it out while looking at it, heheh. The word molar mass got to me figure that out and go ohhh, they want the molar mass per a charge, hehe, ok I got it now :+)

Sorry about the confusing question, but I got it now, thanks :+)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?