Mass-spring system damped

In summary: Be careful here. Textbooks suggest you assume a solution of that form (they don't say you must) because it leads to correct solutions, not necessarily because the solution "must" be of that form. You should quickly learn that you can also get polynomial solutions and trig functions as well as exponentials as solutions and, in fact, products of those kinds of things. Also you need the crucial theoretical fact that the set of all solutions to a nth order linear differential equation forms an nth dimensional "vector space".No, in this case, the solutions must be of that form.And you can prove it just by putting y = (D - r1)x, and solving for y, then solving for x.The
viciado123
Damped vibration

[tex] m \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} + \gamma \frac{dx}{dt} + kx = 0 [/tex]

Characteristic equation is

[tex]mr^2 + \gamma r + k = 0[/tex]

[tex]r_1 = \frac{- \gamma + \sqrt{( \gamma )^2 - 4mk}}{2m}[/tex]
[tex]r_2 = \frac{- \gamma - \sqrt{( \gamma )^2 - 4mk}}{2m}[/tex]

In overdamped
[tex]( \gamma )^2 - 4mk > 0[/tex]

What I need to calculate to find the general solution:
[tex] x(t) = C_1 e^{r_1 t} + C_2 e^{r_2 t}[/tex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi viciado123! Welcome to PF! :wink:

You need two "initial" conditions, to find the two constants C1 and C2.

Usually, they'll be the values of x at two particular times, or the value of x and dx/dt, or of dx/dt and d2x/dt2, at one particular time. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi viciado123! Welcome to PF! :wink:

You need two "initial" conditions, to find the two constants C1 and C2.

Usually, they'll be the values of x at two particular times, or the value of x and dx/dt, or of dx/dt and d2x/dt2, at one particular time. :smile:

I do not know how to find the equation [tex]x(t) = C_1 e^{r_1 t} + C_2 e^{r_2 t}[/tex]

In the books we have to assume [tex]x(t) = e^{rt}[/tex] Why assume this ?

[tex]x_1(t) = C_1e^{r_1t}[/tex] and [tex]x_2(t) = C_2e^{r_2t}[/tex]

It's because you can write the characteristic equation as (D - r1)(D - r2)x = 0 (where D is short for d/dt),

so the solutions are the solutions to (D - r1)x = 0 and (D - r2)x = 0,

which are the same as dx/dt = r1x and dx/dt = r2x,

or x = C1er1t and x = C2er2t. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
It's because you can write the characteristic equation as (D - r1)(D - r2)x = 0 (where D is short for d/dt),

so the solutions are the solutions to (D - r1)x = 0 and (D - r2)x = 0,

which are the same as dx/dt = r1x and dx/dt = r2x,

or x = C1er1t and x = C2er2t. :smile:

Thanks. Is:
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{dt} = \int r_1xdt[/tex]
[tex]ln(x) = r_1t[/tex]
[tex]x(t) = e^{r_1t}[/tex]

I correct ?

viciado123 said:
I do not know how to find the equation [tex]x(t) = C_1 e^{r_1 t} + C_2 e^{r_2 t}[/tex]

In the books we have to assume [tex]x(t) = e^{rt}[/tex] Why assume this ?

[tex]x_1(t) = C_1e^{r_1t}[/tex] and [tex]x_2(t) = C_2e^{r_2t}[/tex]
Be careful here. Textbooks suggest you assume a solution of that form (they don't say you must) because it leads to correct solutions, not necessarily because the solution "must" be of that form. You should quickly learn that you can also get polynomial solutions and trig functions as well as exponentials as solutions and, in fact, products of those kinds of things.

Also you need the crucial theoretical fact that the set of all solutions to a nth order linear differential equation forms an nth dimensional "vector space". In particular, that means that if you have two independent solutions, f1 and f2, of a second order linear differential equation, then any solution can be written as a linear combination of the two solutions: y(x)= C1f1(x)+ C2f2(x) for any solution, y(x), of the equation.

As for your original question, knowing that [itex]e^{r_1t}[/itex] and [itex]e^{r_2t}[/itex] are solutions to the differential equation (and knowing that exponentials with different coefficienta in the exponent are independent) tells you that any solution, y(x), can be written in the form [itex]C_1e^{r_1t}+ C_2e^{r_2t}[/itex].

It is also helpful to observe that, for complex r1 and r2, as you have here, [itex]e^{a+ bi}= e^ae^{bi}= e^a(cos(b)+ i sin(b))[/itex] so that your "exponential solutions" can be written as a combination of exponential and trigonometric solutions.

HallsofIvy said:
Be careful here. Textbooks suggest you assume a solution of that form (they don't say you must) because it leads to correct solutions, not necessarily because the solution "must" be of that form. You should quickly learn that you can also get polynomial solutions and trig functions as well as exponentials as solutions and, in fact, products of those kinds of things.

Also you need the crucial theoretical fact that the set of all solutions to a nth order linear differential equation forms an nth dimensional "vector space". In particular, that means that if you have two independent solutions, f1 and f2, of a second order linear differential equation, then any solution can be written as a linear combination of the two solutions: y(x)= C1f1(x)+ C2f2(x) for any solution, y(x), of the equation.

As for your original question, knowing that [itex]e^{r_1t}[/itex] and [itex]e^{r_2t}[/itex] are solutions to the differential equation (and knowing that exponentials with different coefficienta in the exponent are independent) tells you that any solution, y(x), can be written in the form [itex]C_1e^{r_1t}+ C_2e^{r_2t}[/itex].

It is also helpful to observe that, for complex r1 and r2, as you have here, [itex]e^{a+ bi}= e^ae^{bi}= e^a(cos(b)+ i sin(b))[/itex] so that your "exponential solutions" can be written as a combination of exponential and trigonometric solutions.

Thanks. I find [tex]C_1[/tex] and [tex]C_2[/tex] with initial conditions ?
The initial conditions is:
[tex]x(0) = X_o[/tex] Initial Position ?
[tex]x'(0) = V_o[/tex] Initial velocity?
It is ?

viciado123 said:
Thanks. I find [tex]C_1[/tex] and [tex]C_2[/tex] with initial conditions ?
The initial conditions is:
[tex]x(0) = X_o[/tex] Initial Position ?
[tex]x'(0) = V_o[/tex] Initial velocity?
It is ?

Hint: x(0) = C1+ C2

x'(0) = … ? :smile:
HallsofIvy said:

Also you need the crucial theoretical fact that the set of all solutions to a nth order linear differential equation forms an nth dimensional "vector space".

No, in this case, the solutions must be of that form.

And you can prove it just by putting y = (D - r1)x, and solving for y, then solving for x.

The "textbook suggestions" (ie, mere intelligent guesswork :rolleyes:) really apply to "particular solutions", but not to "general solutions" such as this or any other "polynomial = 0" equation. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hint: x(0) = C1+ C2

x'(0) = … ? :smile:

No, in this case, the solutions must be of that form.

And you can prove it just by putting y = (D - r1)x, and solving for y, then solving for x.

The "textbook suggestions" (ie, mere intelligent guesswork :rolleyes:) really apply to "particular solutions", but not to "general solutions" such as this or any other "polynomial = 0" equation. :wink:

Am I correct?

[tex]x(0) = C_1 + C_2 = x_o[/tex]
[tex]x'(0) = C_1r_1 + C_2r_2 = v_o[/tex]

I find:

[tex] C_1 = \frac{x_or_2 - v_o}{r_2 - r_1}[/tex]

[tex] C_2 = \frac{v_o - x_o r_1}{r_2 - r_1}[/tex]

Correct ?

viciado123 said:
Correct ?

Yup! :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:

Thanks.

In case [tex] \gamma^2 -4mk < 0[/tex] is underdamped

[tex]r_1 = \frac{- \gamma}{2m} + ri[/tex] and [tex]r_1 = \frac{- \gamma}{2m} - ri[/tex]

By Euler's formula

[tex]x(t) = e^{-(\frac{\gamma}{2m})t} (C_1 cos(rt) + C_2 sin(rt))[/tex]

Are the same initial conditions?
What is r? How do I calculate r ?

viciado123 said:
Are the same initial conditions?
What is r? How do I calculate r ?

Do you understand why [tex]r_1 = \frac{- \gamma}{2m} + ri[/tex] and [tex]r_2 = \frac{- \gamma}{2m} - ri[/tex] ?

If so, the value of r is obvious. :wink:

(and use x0 and v0 as before)

tiny-tim said:
Do you understand why [tex]r_1 = \frac{- \gamma}{2m} + ri[/tex] and [tex]r_2 = \frac{- \gamma}{2m} - ri[/tex] ?

If so, the value of r is obvious. :wink:

(and use x0 and v0 as before)

r is the imaginary part ?

[tex]r = \frac{\sqrt{\gamma^2 -4mk}}{2m}[/tex]

That's it! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
That's it! :smile:

Ok thank you

Someone has a graphic example of the system to overdamped and underdamped ?

I tried to plot in MATLAB overdamped. But it appeared nothing
Code:
plot((.1*((-30-sqrt(30^2-100*(4*1.3)))*e^((-30+sqrt(30^2-100*(4*1.3)))*t/(2*1.3))/(2*1.3)-(-30+sqrt(30^2-100*(4*1.3)))*e^((-30-sqrt(30^2-100*(4*1.3)))*t/(2*1.3))/(2*1.3)))/(-sqrt(30^2-100*(4*1.3))/(1.3)), t = 0 .. 5)

In underdamped:
[tex]C_1 = x_o[/tex]

[tex]C_2 = \frac{v_o}{r}[/tex]

It is correct ?

tiny-tim said:

I find

[tex]x'(0) = \frac{- \gamma}{2m}(C_2r) = v_o[/tex]

[tex] C_2 = - \frac{2mv_o}{\gamma r}[/tex]

Where is my mistake?

viciado123 said:
I find

[tex]x'(0) = \frac{- \gamma}{2m}(C_2r) = v_o[/tex]

[tex] C_2 = - \frac{2mv_o}{\gamma r}[/tex]

Where is my mistake?

ooh, sorry … that's what happens when I try to flip between two pages. :redface:

C2 isn't v0/r

because you have to differentiate the whole of e-(γ/2m)t(C1 etc), before putting t = 0,

so you get C2r plus an extra -(γ/2m)C1 = v0.

tiny-tim said:
ooh, sorry … that's what happens when I try to flip between two pages. :redface:

C2 isn't v0/r

because you have to differentiate the whole of e-(γ/2m)t(C1 etc), before putting t = 0,

so you get C2r plus an extra -(γ/2m)C1 = v0.

Ok. Thanks

1. What is a mass-spring system?

A mass-spring system is a physical system consisting of a mass attached to a spring, often used to model the motion of objects in a variety of fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What is damping in a mass-spring system?

Damping refers to the process of reducing the amplitude of oscillations in a mass-spring system, typically through the dissipation of energy in the form of heat.

3. How does damping affect the motion of a mass-spring system?

Damping can affect the motion of a mass-spring system by reducing the amplitude of oscillations, increasing the rate of decay of the oscillations, and altering the system's natural frequency.

4. What are the different types of damping in a mass-spring system?

The three main types of damping in a mass-spring system are viscous damping, structural damping, and Coulomb damping. Viscous damping is caused by the resistance of a fluid or gas, structural damping is caused by internal friction within the system's components, and Coulomb damping is caused by friction between two surfaces in contact.

5. How is damping coefficient related to the damping force in a mass-spring system?

The damping coefficient in a mass-spring system is directly proportional to the damping force. This means that as the damping coefficient increases, the damping force also increases, leading to a greater reduction in the amplitude of oscillations.