How to Calculate Work and Power in a Mass Spring System

In summary, the conversation discusses a mass spring system with a spring constant of 27 N/m and a block of 7 kg that compresses the spring by 0.15 m. The horizontal surface is frictionless on the left side of the spring and has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.55 on the right side. The questions asked include determining the distance the block will slide before stopping, the work done by the spring and friction, and the power dissipated by friction. The suggested approach is to use the equation F=ma to solve the problem.
Harshmau5

Homework Statement

consider a mass spring system mounted on a horizontal surface. The left end of the spring is rigidly mounted, and the spring constant is 27 N/m. A block with a mass of 7 kg is placed on the right side of the spring and compresses the spring a distance of .15 m. The region on the horizontal surface under the spring from the barrier on the left side to the equilibrium length of the spring is frictionless. The region of the horizontalsurface to the right of the equilibrium length of the spring has a coefficient of kinetic friction equal to .55.
A. How far does the block slide before it stops?
B. How much work is done on the block by the spring? How much work is done on the block by friction?
C. What is the power dissipated by friction?

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy
Work

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
So, where is your work?

I have about two pages of work.. Too much to post..

I've tried so many different things I'm just going in circles.. I've been working on this the past two days..

Note that problems or attempted solutions should not be posted as image attachments or links.
This what I have after restartingrestarting

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 354
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 402
I could really use any help..

Dr.D said:
So, where is your work?

How would you approach it?

Have you thought about writing F = m*a? That's a good place to start.

What is a mass spring system?

A mass spring system is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring, which is then connected to a fixed point. It is used to model various real-world systems, such as a car's suspension or a pendulum.

What are the key variables in a mass spring system?

The key variables in a mass spring system are the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the displacement or position of the mass. These variables determine the behavior of the system and can be used to calculate various properties, such as the frequency and amplitude of oscillation.

How do you solve a mass spring system problem?

To solve a mass spring system problem, you can use the equations of motion for a simple harmonic oscillator. These equations involve the key variables mentioned above and can be used to calculate the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the mass at any given time.

What factors affect the behavior of a mass spring system?

The behavior of a mass spring system can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, the initial displacement or velocity of the object, and any external forces acting on the system. The presence of damping, which is a dissipative force, can also affect the behavior of the system.

How is a mass spring system used in real life?

A mass spring system is used in various real-life applications, including mechanical clocks, suspension systems in vehicles, and musical instruments like guitars and violins. It is also used in engineering and physics experiments to model and study the behavior of more complex systems.