Master Thesis Topic: Fibre/Laser Optics vs Phase Field Models

In summary, the speaker has a BS in Physics and is deciding between two options for their master thesis. The first option is in fibre/laser optics with good job and PhD prospects, while the second option is in phase field models with a heavier emphasis on computational methods. The speaker is concerned about the potential usefulness of the second option and seeks feedback on their decision. The other speaker suggests choosing the option with better job and PhD prospects.
Niles
Hi

I have a BS in Physics, and have to begin my master thesis in 3 months. During the past couple of weeks, I have been talking to various professors at my university, and I have narrowed it down to either

• First option: Fibre/laser optics (experimental)
  • Second option: Phase field models (theoretical/computational)

First option During my undergraduate studies I never really liked doing experimental physics.However, I followed basically all optics/laser courses, since I find them particularly interesting and they didn't require much experimental work. What I like about doing this is that PhD/job prospects afterwards will be pretty good according to my professor. Most of his master students have either gone straight to the industry or continued with a PhD.

Second option I have always loved computational physics, and I will have the possibility of doing my thesis with a heavy load of computational methods such as Finite Element Methods and such. My professor told me that I basically decide by myself what the ratio is between theory and numerical work -- this I like very much. What bothers me is that I don't see the same security after the thesis as I do with the first option, and I would hate to end up some place where my MS is essentially useless. Also, the possiblity of a PhD seems lower here than at the first option.

The courses during my MS have basically been divided 50/50 between quantum/laser optics and FEM. Now that I have put my thoughts to paper, I would like to get some feedback. Of course I don't expect anybody to tell me what to pick, but if you have an opinion or any other useful experiences, feel free to let me know.

Best.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the first thing gives you job and PhD prospects, then I'd go with that. There's no use in doing something interesting that turns out useless in the end.

That said, is it really the case that the second subject will not be of much use?? Perhaps it's more applicable then you think, but I'll let the physics people answer this.

1. What is the difference between Fibre/Laser Optics and Phase Field Models?

Fibre/Laser Optics and Phase Field Models are two different approaches used in the study of light and its properties. Fibre/Laser Optics focuses on the behavior of light in optical fibers and laser systems, while Phase Field Models use mathematical equations to describe the evolution of a physical system, such as the propagation of light.

2. Which approach is better suited for studying light propagation in complex media?

Both Fibre/Laser Optics and Phase Field Models have their strengths and weaknesses in studying light propagation in complex media. However, Phase Field Models are better suited for complex systems as they can capture the dynamics of multiple interacting components, such as light and matter, in a more realistic manner.

3. Can Fibre/Laser Optics and Phase Field Models be used together?

Yes, Fibre/Laser Optics and Phase Field Models can be used together in certain cases to gain a more comprehensive understanding of light propagation. For example, Phase Field Models can be used to simulate the behavior of light in an optical fiber, while Fibre/Laser Optics can be used to experimentally validate the results.

4. What are the applications of Fibre/Laser Optics and Phase Field Models?

Fibre/Laser Optics has a wide range of applications, including telecommunications, medical imaging, and materials processing. Phase Field Models are used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and materials science to study phase transitions, pattern formation, and other complex phenomena.

5. What are the current research trends in the field of Fibre/Laser Optics and Phase Field Models?

Some current research trends in the field include improving the accuracy and efficiency of Phase Field Models, developing new techniques for controlling light in optical fibers and laser systems, and exploring the potential applications of both approaches in quantum technology and non-linear optics.