Mastering Compound Angles for Perfect Molding Installation

• B
  • Thread starter arydberg
  • Start date
In summary, to install molding on a ceiling and turn a 90 degree corner, a compound angle saw is needed. This involves cutting the molding at a 45 degree tilt and 45 degree blade setting. In the past, this was done with a triangular cross section molding and a 45 degree setting angle. However, with today's flat section molding, a triangular air space is needed behind it. The angle of the tilt and blade setting can be determined using a jig and the cross product of the normal vectors. In the real world, saws come with the angles marked on them.
arydberg
A carpender wants to install molding on the cealing of a room. He needs it to turn a 90 degree corner. In the old days the molding had a trianglar cross section and he had to cut it at a 45 degree setting angle. This was simple.

Today however the molding comes in a flat section. It has to be placed on the wall at 45 degrees to the wall and 45 degrees to the cealing with a trianglar air space behind it. Now he needs it to turn a 90 degree corner.

The way to do this is to cut the molding with a compound angle saw. That is the saw is angled with respect to the center line of the molding called the setting and the saw is tilted with respect to the plane of the molding.

The question is how do you figure out the angle of the tilt and the angle of the blade setting.

I think the answer involves the dot product.

btw In the real world the saws simpley come with the angles marked on the saw.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
arydberg said:
A carpender wants to install molding on the cealing of a room. He needs it to turn a 90 degree corner. In the old days the molding had a trianglar cross section and he had to cut it at a 45 degree setting angle. This was simple.

Today however the molding comes in a flat section. It has to be placed on the wall at 45 degrees to the wall and 45 degrees to the cealing with a trianglar air space behind it. Now he needs it to turn a 90 degree corner.

The way to do this is to cut the molding with a compound angle saw. That is the saw is angled with respect to the center line of the molding called the setting and the saw is tilted with respect to the plane of the molding.

The question is how do you figure out the angle of the tilt and the angle of the blade setting.

I don't believe it does.
arydberg said:
btw In the real world the saws simpley come with the angles marked on the saw.
What I would do is put together a fixture that holds the molding at an angle of 45° off of vertical, the same way the molding goes on the wall and ceiling, then turn the saw blade 45° and make the cut. The cut for the other molding piece should be the mirror image of the first cut.

Likes jim mcnamara
arydberg said:
No. If you have the standard formula for the planes (a point in the plane and the normal vector), the cross product of the normal vectors results in a vector along the intersection line. Unfortunately the answer is not quite that easy, since you do not have planes but three-dimensional objects...

@Mark44 = his answer is exactly what is done. Those fixtures he refers to are called "jigs" by woodworkers and carpenters. Ex: cutting crown moulding for a complex china closet without a jig would be a very expensive operation: lots of wasted pieces at $20USD per board foot.

My question is how do you use mathametics to solve the problem?

Likes Stephen Tashi
arydberg said:
My question is how do you use mathametics to solve the problem?
My answer uses geometry.

Related to Mastering Compound Angles for Perfect Molding Installation

1. What is Carpenter's math problem?

Carpenter's math problem is a mathematical puzzle that involves finding the length of a missing piece in a set of measurements. It is often used in carpentry and woodworking to determine the length of a board or piece of material needed for a project.

2. How do you solve Carpenter's math problem?

To solve Carpenter's math problem, you need to use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the longest side) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This can help you find the missing length by setting up and solving an equation.

3. What are the key components of Carpenter's math problem?

The key components of Carpenter's math problem are the given measurements (lengths of two sides), the missing measurement (length of the hypotenuse), and the Pythagorean theorem. These components are necessary for setting up and solving the equation to find the missing length.

4. Can you provide an example of Carpenter's math problem?

For example, if you have a right triangle with two sides measuring 3 feet and 4 feet, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the hypotenuse. The equation would be c² = a² + b², where c is the hypotenuse and a and b are the other two sides. Plugging in the values, you get c² = 3² + 4² = 9 + 16 = 25. Therefore, the length of the hypotenuse (c) is 5 feet.

5. How is Carpenter's math problem useful in real life?

Carpenter's math problem is useful in real life, especially in carpentry and woodworking, as it helps you determine the correct length of a board or piece of material needed for a project. It can also be applied in other situations involving right triangles, such as calculating distances or heights. It is a practical application of the Pythagorean theorem, which has many real-world applications in various fields.