Mastering Statistics: Calculating Fill Volumes and Probability Distributions

• Thread starter forty-twwo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
I'm hoping to figure it out soon.In summary, the conversation discusses two questions involving probability and statistics. The first question focuses on the average fill volume of intravenous fluid bags, with parts (a) and (b) asking for the standard deviation and probability of the average fill volume. Part (c) also asks for the mean fill volume needed to achieve a certain probability. The second question involves a continuous random variable and asks for the cumulative distribution function, mean, median, and variance. The conversation ends with a request for tips or help in solving these questions.
forty-twwo
To be honest I have no real idea how to do this. I know of the probability density function, and the cumulative probability function, but using them is another difficulty I'm trying to overcome.

My questions are,

Intravenous fluid bags are filled by an automated filling machine. Assume that the
fill volumes of the bags are independent, normal random variables with a standard
deviation of 0.08 fluid ounces.

(a) What is the standard deviation of the average fill volume of 20 bags?
(b) If the mean fill volume of the machine is 6.16 fluid ounces, what is the
probability that the average fill volume of 20 bags is below 5.95 °uid ounces?
(c) What should the mean fill volume equal in order that the probability that the
average fill volume of 20 bags is below 6 ounces is 0.001?

Second question is,

A continuous random variable X has the probability density function f(x) given
below.
0 x < or equal to 0
f(x) = 4x3 0 < x < or equal to 1
0 x > 1

(a) What is the cumulative distribution function of the random variable X?
(b) What are the mean and median of the random variable X?
(c) What is the variance of the random variable X?
(d) What is the probability that the random variable takes a value greater than
its mean?

Any help or tips so I can figure these out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what formulas and equations do you know? In particular, what is the standard deviation of an average of n trials from a normal distribution?

What have you tried on these?

I believe I just solved all of the first question. For Part A I used the equation of the standard deviation divided by the square root of the number or trials, so 0.08 / sqrt of 20.
Then for Part B I used the z score formula of (X-μ)/σ, then used a z-table I found online. For Part C I did a similar thing but basically used the equation and table in reverse.

Question 2 is still a bit of a mystery for now though,

1. What is statistics and why is it important?

Statistics is a branch of mathematics that involves collecting, organizing, analyzing, and interpreting data. It is important because it helps us make sense of large amounts of information and make informed decisions based on evidence rather than just intuition.

2. How do I choose the right statistical test for my data?

Choosing the right statistical test depends on the type of data you have and the research question you are trying to answer. Some common tests include t-tests, ANOVA, and regression analysis. Consulting with a statistician or using online resources can help you determine the appropriate test for your data.

3. How do I interpret the results of a statistical analysis?

Interpreting the results of a statistical analysis involves looking at the data and statistical measures, such as means and standard deviations, to determine if there are significant differences or relationships. It is important to also consider the context and limitations of the study when interpreting the results.

4. What is the difference between descriptive and inferential statistics?

Descriptive statistics are used to summarize and describe data, while inferential statistics are used to make generalizations about a larger population based on a sample of data. In other words, descriptive statistics describe what has happened, while inferential statistics make predictions about what may happen in the future.

5. How can I improve my understanding of statistics?

Improving your understanding of statistics involves practice and learning the basic concepts and principles. Taking a statistics course, reading textbooks or articles, and practicing with real data can all help improve your understanding. It is also important to ask questions and seek help when needed.